Removing Dash on a '65'

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

gravelman

Re: Removing Dash on a '65'

Post by gravelman »

Here's what's left of the dash, the bellows is out... The broken speedo cable is out and ready for the new install. I'm replacing the A/C louvers/vents with 4 billet aluminum eye balls. My louvers were broken, plus I thought they broke up the flow of the dash. The eye balls replicate the the round instruments above the steering wheel. The eye ball layout is the same as Classic Air's conversion to A/C or updates. I'll post a picture soon...

gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Paul,

Nice job on the boot replacement. I guess you could use a 1/16" thick neoprene sheet as well... You must have surgeon hands to get the sheet metal wrapped around the chimney and installing the 2 hose clamps.

I'm still trying to get the heater box and evaporator out. The heater box wants to move , but seems attached to the evaporator and even though I have the nuts on the firewall side off the evaporator seems stuck tight.

I posted a second picture with text of the dash and now it's gone, I wonder if the PhotoBucket jpg was too big or? Maybe I pushed the wrong button... it wouldn't be the first time...

Thanks,

Mitch
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

They do sell new reproductions of the fresh air inlet gasket. They are $45 from Pat Wilson Thunderbird. I just bought one.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible (Emberglo / White-Emberglo)
Modified 428 - stroked, rollercam, aluminum top end, headers
Livermore, CA
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Thanks, that's good info...

Mitch
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Mitch if i remember correctly there are bolts which join the heater and evap box together behind the grill on the passenger side.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

This is a shot of my 65 heater box with A/C good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Bob,

So both the heater and evaporator boxes came out as a unit... That information helps me a lot. There has to be some other attachments that I'm missing. But now at least I have a plan...

Many thanks,

Mitch
paulr

Post by paulr »

Appreciate the picture from Bob C. Seems that people have been talking past the point that the A/C car has an AC-heater plenum unit that is ONE piece; forget about separating them. Though it's possible to do so, it's a waste of time. The manual makes this somewhat clear with illustrations showing the the non-A/C car has a heater box that looks different in every way from the A/C car. (The possible exception being that after removal of the plenum, you can further dissect it if you're planning to reline the damper doors for quieter operation or reseal seams.)

That said, take a close look at Bob C's plenum showing the firewall side, and you can see exactly where mounting post is. From there it's an easy matter to locate them on the engine side.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Thanks Paul,

Geronimo. I got it out at long last... I had everything loose, but it took two people and clearing away all the wiring, hoses and the tubular brace that supports the sliding steering wheel support. Then some gentle yanking, then pulling the heater core box to the rear and moving the entire assembly (evaporator and heater core boxes) out the passenger door.

I'll post some pictures with more detail... I'll never know why Ford didn't make changing the A/C hoses out with exposed fittings on the engine side of the firewall is beyond me.

Thanks for everyone's support.

Mitch
paulr

Post by paulr »

Congratulations, Mitch. Now you're certified. This is not a lot simpler than engine removal except for the weight. Now you're part of a very exclusive club. Very few ever manage to remove the dashboard let alone this beast!

I love the way the manual says to just remove some nuts and bolts and slip the thing out with the dash in place. According to the manual this just takes a few easy steps...as if! :lol:
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Me again, I'm one happy camper getting the dash, evaporator and heater box out. Here's a link for some proof of work... I'll follow up with some thoughts on how to which might help some other lost soul.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146715974@N05/?

Mitch
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

If you have trouble with the vacuum motors that operate the doors, some of them are easily replaced with Motorcraft service parts from the last generation Crown Victoria, and for the others, I designed a bracket that allowed me to use a Motorcraft part from a 95-2004 Mustang.

Let me know if you need part numbers.
Livermore, CA
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

jtschug wrote:If you have trouble with the vacuum motors that operate the doors, some of them are easily replaced with Motorcraft service parts from the last generation Crown Victoria, and for the others, I designed a bracket that allowed me to use a Motorcraft part from a 95-2004 Mustang.

Let me know if you need part numbers.
I think a lot of us would like the part numbers - please post them here in the Forum.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
jtschug

Post by jtschug »

Motorcraft YH1665 is almost a drop in replacement for the defrost door and the heater floor doors.

To make it work, I had to (1) re-tap the screw holes to match the thread of the screws (or you could use new screws that have the same thread as these holes) and (2) cut the lever to the right length and drill and tap a screw hole. -- This probably took me 10 minutes total

For the A/C door and the recirc door I used Motorcraft YH1668 and then designed a bracket using cardboard, then when I found a good design, made it out of sheet aluminum and then attached it to the vacuum motor using JB Weld.
Livermore, CA
SBurney

Post by SBurney »

I know this is an old thread, but I looked it up in the interest of keeping like information together.

I was looking on a TBird site for a replacement for my AC door vacuum actuator. They are showing part number yh161, which is a Motorcraft part #. It already has the side mounting bracket, eliminating the need for fabrication (I hope). Oh, and Rock Auto has it for about 30 bucks less.
Steve Burney
1965 Special Landau, originally purchased by my Grandmother. The only car she ever bought that
she thought was worth what she paid for it.
VTCI #12702
Thunderbird Registry #64708