Removing Dash on a '65'

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

gravelman

Removing Dash on a '65'

Post by gravelman »

Does anyone know if you can disconnect the wiper motor switch cable from the chrome levers at the dash? I know it can be disconnected at the wiper motor, but I've just installed new hoses to the wiper motor and bled the P/S system and would prefer not to have to un-do my work.

Thanks,

Mitch
stubbie

Re: Removing Dash on a '65'

Post by stubbie »

Here is a pic from my photo bucket account you can see how it looks, but I can't remember how I took it apart. I will think about it somemore and get back to you.

I think the ball bearing and spring go into a hole in the bottom of the lever. The long brass gear goes into the tube with the cable. The gears on the lever and that brass rod mesh together and that gives you the push and pull on the cable. But I can't remember if the brass gear is attached to the cable. I did install a new cable as mine was broken at the motor end.
Last edited by stubbie on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

By the way there is no need to remove the hoses from the wiper motor you can just disconnect the cable. Look at this photo.
Take off cowl. Undo the nut and remove cable.
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Hello Stubbie,

Matt from Larry's T-Bird said the wiper control cable has to be disconnected at the wiper motor. I decided to get on with it and removed the wiper motor and disconnected the cable. In my case I have an aftermarket P/S pump and adapted a different fitting at the P/S to the wiper motor hose, so it made the job harder, plus hate re-doing my work.

The dash is out, but the steering shaft is not coming out like the workshop manual says. I going to pull the column anyway to replace bushings and bearings and I'm assuming that I can pull the steering shaft out from the bottom once the column is out.

I don't see how Ford ever made any money on these cars, so many pieces, they never intended to have a car with easy maintenance for the DIY'er, well at least as far as the dash goes and it's accessory components....

Many thanks for your follow up and help, it's appreciated.
losendos

Post by losendos »

My steering shaft didn't come out like the manual said either. I could pull it out maybe 6", then something hit a hard stop inside the column. Haven't had the pleasure of pulling the dash yet.
-Patrick
1966 Town Hardtop
VTCI #12691
Past Birds: 1986 Turbo Coupe 5-speed, 1965 Convertible
paulr

Post by paulr »

gravelman wrote: I don't see how Ford ever made any money on these cars, so many pieces, they never intended to have a car with easy maintenance for the DIY'er, well at least as far as the dash goes and it's accessory components.
They made bank; that was the whole plan, an annuity for the dealer service departments. These cars were sold to junior executives; DIYer's were never part of the plan...back then when Detroit commanded the world...
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
gravelman

Removing the Evaporator on a '65'

Post by gravelman »

I've got the dash and steering column out, the only way I could remove the steering shaft was from the bottom of the column. Not a problem since I was removing the dash and column any way to paint, plus rebuild the steering column...

My question is it looks like removing the evaporator is another can of worms... It appears that you'll have to remove the support brace on the left side and I'm not sure what else before I expose the evaporator. I have a Sanden A/C compressor that I will need to modify the to and from fittings on the evaporator. Any suggestions or support would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Mitch
paulr

Re: Removing the Evaporator on a '65'

Post by paulr »

gravelman wrote: have a Sanden A/C compressor that I will need to modify the to and from fittings on the evaporator. Any suggestions or support would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Mitch
Mitch, I have had a Sanden compressor also, although this winter I decided to remove it and R/R the original York compressor for other reasons. Unless you have unusual mods, the "to and from fittings on the evaporator" are standard; you won't have any trouble there. The evap mounting nuts are all on the engine side. This will go fine for you, you did the hard part by taking the dash off.

It will be necessary to lose some water when disconnecting the heater hoses, but you can minimize that by planning ahead. Check your passenger side vent chimney. The factory rubber boot at the top is probably shredded; several of us have decided to repair that boot with sheet metal and worm gear clamps (I know, I know, NOT concourse) on reassembly. Uh, good time to inspect your heater core. You probably planned on that. Good luck.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

If you want to remove the evaporator you will also need to remove the heater box. It should all be reasonably easy with the dash removed. You will need to remove the floor vent and the bellows. The fan motor from under the hood, loosen a couple of bolts through the firewall and pull the evap forward to clear the bolts. Then lift upwards to clear the tunnel and move to the passenger side for removal.
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Thanks boys for the direction and help.

It appears to me that the factory evaporator fittings at the F/W are much smaller than the -8 and -10 hoses from the compressor and drier. Plus I'm going to run the A/C hose under the exhaust manifolds and come vertically on the F/W so I'm thinking of soldering or adapting 90 degree fittings to the evaporator. Any where I don't have sufficient clearance under the exhaust manifold I'll run the hoses in fire-sleeve.

My heater core is new by the P.O. With your good info I'll tackle this tomorrow, stay tuned, film at eleven...

Your knowledge and help is appreciated. I love this project...
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

What thing I forgot to mention is that I've replaced the "V" belt pulleys with a Concept One serpentine system. Now my A/C compressor is low on the passenger side and my alternator is high on the driver's side. I had custom hard tubing made up that sneaks around the radiator and come out thorough the gap/baffle between the radiator and the radiator support mid height. Should be a pretty clean install if it all works...

Stubbie, what app do you use to upload your jpg's? I'm not a Facebook user... thanks.
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

I've got all the nuts off the studs on both the heater and the 2 on the evaporator. It's loose, but doesn't want to come out. The boot on the "chimney" was gone, in lieu of the boot there was duct tape. Hey why not use duct take on a duct... LOL I'm sure I can fine a rubber sleeve to replace the duct tape.

Are we suggesting that the heater core and evaporator will come out as a unit? I keep thinking that one of these days I'll be putting parts back, but so far I just keep taking them off. I read on page16-4 to remove the the 4 nuts which I've done, then remove the (item 8) rear support screw near the fresh air intake. Where is that...

Actually my wiring and most of the vac hoses are in pretty good shape. I bought a MityVac pump to check out my vac actuators. Will probably replace as much vac hoses as I can get at.

Thanks for helping me,

Mitch
paulr

Post by paulr »

gravelman wrote:I've got all the nuts off the studs on both the heater and the 2 on the evaporator. It's loose, but doesn't want to come out. The boot on the "chimney" was gone, in lieu of the boot there was duct tape. Hey why not use duct take on a duct... LOL I'm sure I can fine a rubber sleeve to replace the duct tape.

Are we suggesting that the heater core and evaporator will come out as a unit? I keep thinking that one of these days I'll be putting parts back, but so far I just keep taking them off. I read on page16-4 to remove the the 4 nuts which I've done, then remove the (item 8) rear support screw near the fresh air intake. Where is that...

Actually my wiring and most of the vac hoses are in pretty good shape. I bought a MityVac pump to check out my vac actuators. Will probably replace as much vac hoses as I can get at.

Thanks for helping me,

Mitch
Yes, DO use duct tape. Seriously, fab a sheet metal duct, secure it down with duct tape and large worm gears (duct clamps) just so you don't have to worry about draftiness ever again after the dash is reinstalled. Taking the dash off was probably "fun" once, but that wears off in my opinion. (picture taken before duct tape applied)

Plenum includes both evaporator and heater core. There is one nut which is fairly well hidden, IIRC. That may be the "Item 8" you're seeking. I remember a long time ago I was advised to cut it and not bother correcting it on reinstallation, but I'm not sure if we're talking about the same screw yet.

Just put in all new vac hose if you still have originals. If they haven't split yet, they're going to. The stuff is cheap and the old ones are dehydrated. Get some colored electrical tape or acrylic paints and make little colored marks on all your new lines. Believe me, later on in the project you WILL need those colors.

Just one more suggestion, since you are doing some extensive mods to the car. Now that you will have almost an entirely exposed in-car firewall, assuming the condition of the red primer is good, some of us have taken the opportunity to replace the old firewall insulation with modern sound deadening mats such as Dynamat, or the like. A caution: use more than one thickness of Dynamat IF you are choosing that material. Experiment with your own concepts; just putting the seed in your head.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Mitch I use Photobucket. A bit of a pain if you use the free one but hey it's free.
You've removed the hoses and the top air vents. You 're missing the drain hose ( you don't have one). You will need to separate the heater from the evap box I would imagine. Be careful here. Make sure you undo all the bolts as the fiberglass is thin and you can damage it. Take off fresh air intake vent and cables from on top of heater box. Have you removed the fan bolts and the 2 bolts from the heater core that go through the firewall?
gravelman

Post by gravelman »

Stubbie,

Thanks for the reply, yes I've removed the fan bolts... As far as the rest of your suggestions I'll have to spend more time looking at everything. Not sure where or what I need to do to separate the heater box from the evaporator. I'll wear it down and figure it out, I hope.

I tried to sign up for the PhotoBucket, but it didn't take my information. They might have been off line as I've read they do that periodically. I'll give it another go since I like pictures. Too bad this site doesn't have that capability. The Porsche site that I frequent asks for donations, most people give $25.00 a year which allows posting of pixs.

Have a good week,

Mitch