65/66 brake line question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

RedBird64

65/66 brake line question

Post by RedBird64 »

I'm in the middle of a disc brake conversion on my 64 from a 65/66.
Can someone tell me what size hard line Ford used for the front brakes from the MC? Is it 3/16 like on the 64's?

Thanks in advance.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
redstangbob

Re: 65/66 brake line question

Post by redstangbob »

Yes, throughout the whole car.
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Thanks Bob!
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Tbirdgul

Post by Tbirdgul »

Scott, all done with the conversion? Care to share what you did and what it cost you? Any difficulties? Was it easy or a lot of fettling.

Thanks, Tony
Tony Gul - Southern California
VTCI# 13062
1964 Thunderbird hardtop black with white roof - current
1964 Thunderbird hardtop copper - 1986
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

Well Tony, I'm still working on those difficulties!
I've got brakes and they're "OK" but not what I want. Part of the problem is sizing a dual Master cylinder. Using the same size as they did back in the day doesn't give me the pedal I want (and engineering wise doesn't add up). Also, there does not seem to be a source for quality brake pads. Literally, $20 junk is all that's available and they lack the "bite" of modern quality pads. I may have some custom made - if it's possible.
So I have a bigger master cylinder coming and I'm still engineering the setup.
Thanks for your interest though and I will post a thread when I get everything worked out.

Scott
hopp150

Post by hopp150 »

Which dual MC do you have on there now?
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I currently have a MC from a mid 70's Mustang but the 1" bore is too small. The next one will be 1 1/16" which may be the limit of the single diaphragm booster that the 64's used but should work well.
hopp150

Post by hopp150 »

Ok, thanks for the info. I'm adding a dual MC to my 64 but keeping drums for now. I'm going with a 73 mustang drum/drum MC with a Wilwood proportioning valve.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

That should work fine but you positively do not need a proportioning valve if you keep the drums on the front. In fact it will only cause you problems.

Paul R. is installing the same MC on his 64 right now so hopefully he'll report back.
hopp150

Post by hopp150 »

Interesting, Ok, Ill try without it first.
paulr

Post by paulr »

RedBird64 wrote:That should work fine but you positively do not need a proportioning valve if you keep the drums on the front. In fact it will only cause you problems.

Paul R. is installing the same MC on his 64 right now so hopefully he'll report back.
2 comments: I second Scott's point that a prop valve is wrong for an otherwise unadulterated MY64 brake system; in the least it would add unneeded complication to brake function; in the worst it could mask uneven braking or rapid liner wear.

I've had little chance to really break in the new ('73 Mustang) dual MC on the road; various other projects going on. But, just driving up and down the driveway a lot at this point it's hard to differentiate between a soft pedal feel and incomplete line bleeding, yet. More work to be done, but really low on spare time so this is dragging out a bit. More later.
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

I'm not a brake expert but my understanding of how a dual master cylinder works is that. When you press the brake pedal that activates the rear brakes first. Once the shoes make contact with the drums that then activates the front brakes. This obviously all happens within seconds. The proportioning valve I thought was there to regulate the pressure between front and rear to avoid rear brake lock up? Paul can you test this by stomping hard on your brakes when you do your test and let us know which is better.
paulr

Post by paulr »

stubbie wrote:I'm not a brake expert but my understanding of how a dual master cylinder works is that. When you press the brake pedal that activates the rear brakes first. Once the shoes make contact with the drums that then activates the front brakes. This obviously all happens within seconds. The proportioning valve I thought was there to regulate the pressure between front and rear to avoid rear brake lock up? Paul can you test this by stomping hard on your brakes when you do your test and let us know which is better.
I would like to oblige but you know how mission creep goes, Stubbie. Since this brake line and MC job started, I got into zinc plating at home. Now that's kind of got a life of its own and I've got several parts in the pipeline; the ultimate goal is to zinc plate and yellow chromate the hinges along with other hood and engine parts to get the car street legal again--you see the pickle (pun intended). Will be out of commission a bit.

Besides, Redbird 64 is the real genius on the subject of brakes, eh, Scotty? ;-)
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Mission creep? Oh yes. Ask me about my interior. No don't. Well we can wait for the big brake test. No hurry.
Scott was the 64 a 15/16th master cylinder.
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

paulr wrote:
stubbie wrote:I'm not a brake expert but my understanding of how a dual master cylinder works is that. When you press the brake pedal that activates the rear brakes first. Once the shoes make contact with the drums that then activates the front brakes. This obviously all happens within seconds. The proportioning valve I thought was there to regulate the pressure between front and rear to avoid rear brake lock up? Paul can you test this by stomping hard on your brakes when you do your test and let us know which is better.
I would like to oblige but you know how mission creep goes, Stubbie. Since this brake line and MC job started, I got into zinc plating at home. Now that's kind of got a life of its own and I've got several parts in the pipeline; the ultimate goal is to zinc plate and yellow chromate the hinges along with other hood and engine parts to get the car street legal again--you see the pickle (pun intended). Will be out of commission a bit.

Besides, Redbird 64 is the real genius on the subject of brakes, eh, Scotty? ;-)
Genius? More of a quitter lately.
Heck, the more I learn about the intricacies of brake systems the more I realize I what I don't know.
Cant wait to hear more about the chemistry-set explorations into plating!