Dual Bowl Master Cylinder...

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

gravelman

Re: Dual Bowl Master Cylinder...

Post by gravelman »

Scott, thanks for your follow up... you do have a tasty engine room. I think that is an important as a good paint job... I've modified a Corvette dual M/C to the factory booster. Lot's of money business to adapt it, but I thrive on complication. The reservoir clears the brace, the downside is it's white nylon. Since it's off of a Corvette it should make my T/B faster... only in my dreams...

If my present M/C doesn't work out I'll go for your fix, thanks...

Mitch
RedBird64

Re: Dual Bowl Master Cylinder...

Post by RedBird64 »

Thanks again Mitch.
I actually considered the GM type MC because I think there are so many large pistons to this KH system. I believe it could probably use a larger MC. It was hard to find anything much larger than the stang (1") from Ford. I found one for a 70's F350 but the body is HUGE. There are a number of MC's like you describe that are closer to the sizes I was considering.
The Stang MC ended up working OK after the pads bedded into the new rotors (another story in bad quality) after I drove it a bit.

If someone really wanted the very best brake setup, I think there are aftermarket systems that would work better. The 65~67 KH system is OK but is very old technology and has way more piston area than a comparable modern, and more powerful system. Plus, it isn't a floating system and there aren't any good quality pads available - I don't believe you get much for less than $20 and I can feel the poor quality of the compound.
I wanted to keep my car simple to repair for the next restorer (probably one of my nephews) and hence the use of all 65 T-Bird parts except for the MC. I have documented everything and even have an extra set of pads for that inevitability. The only odd part is the Mustang MC and that should always be easy to get.

BTW, I believe any Corvette part on our cars is worth at least 7 HP. :drinking:

Scott

Stubby, You don't need a proportioning valve with a drum/drum system. The wheel cylinders are sized by the factory to have the same effect - that's why no stock car with all drum brakes has one.

S
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.