Dylan's 64-408w airbags, 4 link , billets and more....

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

62birdman

Re: Dylan's 64-408w airbags and more +

Post by 62birdman »

A great thread, you've done some fantastic work. Love the engine bay, and choice of engine. I'm a big fans of air ride suspensions. In the rear, in order to get the car into the weeds, most guys c-notch the frame to get it low, but being a unibody, no frame, you need to pay attention to structure strength with extra bracing. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finished project.
lowxr

Post by lowxr »

62birdman wrote:A great thread, you've done some fantastic work. Love the engine bay, and choice of engine. I'm a big fans of air ride suspensions. In the rear, in order to get the car into the weeds, most guys c-notch the frame to get it low, but being a unibody, no frame, you need to pay attention to structure strength with extra bracing. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finished project.

thank you! yeah sorry i did this well over 12 months ago im just slack at updating and im coping from another forum. i didnt notch it. thanks buddy, i cant wait either hah
lowxr

Post by lowxr »

so then next was to get the angles etc needed to make the 4 link work.
for that i used the link ends, tapped to pieces of dowel to make 4 link easier to work out.
then i used some pvc piping to replicate the airbags and moved things around till they fitted nicey.

lowxr

Post by lowxr »

Then decided to run 2 pipes parallel so that the bags can run under them neatly and also to put strength back in that cutting the floor out, took out.

i used dowel again for that but the pipe i went was some 45mm (i think) with a wall thickness of 4mm. these are sitting on top of the rails here but i tucked them under the rail lip.

lowxr

Post by lowxr »

next we made up some plates to sit on the insides of the rails. these are 5mm thick, fit under the factory chassis rail lip and have holes cut into them for the rails to run through and help tie everything together for strength etc.

first made up in some cardboard.

then time to make it up in the 5mm steel. (easier said than done) very time consuming making it fit really nice and die-grinding the tube cutouts so everything fits snug and tight. lots of testing and trimming haha.

lowxr

Re: Dylan's 64-408w airbags, 4 link , billets and more....

Post by lowxr »

then wanted to use some steel to make the bag top mounts. went with some 6mm plate, welded between both rear rails. keeps it all strong and neat. wanted something along these lines.