Suspension components

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Tbird64

Suspension components

Post by Tbird64 »

Anyone know of upgraded suspension components that might be available?

Most interested in tubular control arms
ozbird

Re: Suspension components

Post by ozbird »

Never heard of any being offered - just not enough interest in them compared to Mustangs which have heaps of after market support.

Check the Galaxie that Jay Leno has - special control arms built for it but they were a once off.

Graeme
1962 Hardtop - in Melbourne, Australia
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

I don't know if these would work on Tbirds because of the amount of weight over the front wheels but they seem to be made for every other make of Ford.
http://www.rrs-online.com.au/au/ho2-coi ... strut.html
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Good find Stubbie, that might be a good starting point too at least ask questions.

Graeme
Tbird64

Post by Tbird64 »

Cool product but I don't think our strut towers were designed to take that strain.
I've heard people comment about them moving if you remove the brace so I imagine this would be an issue long term with out some serious restructuring.

My issues is I bought some rims used that are spot of for the car in terms of look and with a spacer they fit however at full lock there are only about 1/8 inch from the edge of the rim to the side of the upper control arm. I'm worried this is not enough clearence.
Trying to decide if I modify the upper control arm.
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

1/4" sounds ok.

And did some research on those parts - not 'over engineered' enough for my liking.

Graee
Tbird64

Post by Tbird64 »

Yeah good idea but I'd prefer something designed as a kit specific to the car in question.

When fitting the rims I removed the spring so I could test the full tuck and was surprised how much tension just the control arms will hold. Granted I have the motor out but the front would come off the jack stands just on the bushing flex.

Defiantly would concern me going from 5 load points down to three
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

I think if you just focussed on the comfort level for straight roads and install disc brakes and a heavy duty sway bar on the front that should keep you happy. Save the fancy stuff for cars that are designed to go around corners. :mrgreen:

Graeme
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

I see they sell a strut brace kit as well for body flex.
Gsmittyjr53

Post by Gsmittyjr53 »

I'm working on the rear leaf springs and upgrading the bushings. But I can't find a universal kit for the car anywhere. I'm looking for poly bushings. Does anyone know which car the Thunderbird shared/borrowed/whatever it's rear leafs from? F-100? Galaxie? It would really help my build. Thanks
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

Polybushings.com has bushings by size if you first know the dimensions of the bushings you need. Good luck.

Bill
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
Gsmittyjr53

Post by Gsmittyjr53 »

Did Ford change anything to the rear leafs from the 3rd generation to the fourth? I don't see why?
Gsmittyjr53

Post by Gsmittyjr53 »

I went to PolyBushings.com and only found bushings for 1960-64. So I'm wondering If I could use those for my car/