'66 needs shorter brake booster, what's compatible

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

TJThunder66

'66 needs shorter brake booster, what's compatible

Post by TJThunder66 »

Hey guys/gals,
I have a '66 Q code and it has the huge midland power brake booster. Nothing wrong with it, but I'm upgrading to a Dual Master Cyclinder ('74 Mustang MC) and even with a notched strut brace, the new dual master is coming too far back and hitting the brace, so I can't bolt the brace back down.

I've looked up some of the smaller (7") brake boosters, but am not sure of what will fit the current bolt patterns in the firewall, etc. Trying not to do any additional modding. Any help would be appreciated, I've been trying to get ahold of Booster Dewey for a week now, phone line is always busy.

Thanks in advance for any links to the part / trusted buyers OR info on makes/models you know work so I can go window shopping!
1966 Ford Thunderbird Town Hardtop "Flair Bird" 390-v8.
paulr

Re: '66 needs shorter brake booster, what's compatible

Post by paulr »

Kind of belongs in the 64-66 Mod section; might get more attention there as well--maybe Bob will move this. I'm in the process of designing my own new system so, can't help you with specifics. Plus our two cars have a different brace configuration. There is not a lot of options without dealing with that brace; might consider remote fill M/C. Just ideas. Be prepared to do a lot of homework. Might look at ads in hot rod magazines; swap meets are probably the best source for seeing what's worked. Here're two companies I'm using to create a hybrid for my '64, but you have to call and talk to them about fun stuff that doesn't show on online catalogs. Best of luck.
http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/home.html
http://www.mpbrakes.com/
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Metalcop

Post by Metalcop »

I would try the MC from a late 60's Mustang. That seems to be the consensus part that 'Bird owners use, when upgrading to a dual bowl MC. I am not sure if the '74 is the same? My guess would be that it is not, and that is why you are having the difficulty. A lot of owners have done this upgrade, and there is plenty of info available. The strut tower brace will have to be clearanced for it, no matter what.
JETBRD66

Post by JETBRD66 »

I purchased the kit # 9759 (page 100) but these folks have just about everything you'll ever need, I did not need to notch my strut tower brace on my 66 but it is close, allot of fooling around , and brake pedal adjustment was a night mare, either to high or low but in the end it all worked out !

http://www.abspowerbrake.com/maincatalo ... et014.html
THE OLE TURD IN THE BIGBIRD

http://postimg.org/image/6wgpas7od/
TJThunder66

Post by TJThunder66 »

Thanks all... I've been researching for days now to find what is compatible with the midland booster that WILL fit. Notched or not, I have both bars. I agree the '74 MC may be too long. I can return it to Autozone, so now I just need to find what fits. I'll look at the links and try to figure this out. I appreciate the help.
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

Bobs birdhouse has a dual mc that works with redoing the brake lines,it was not that much work to do.The only thing is the brake fluid tank is plastic,but other than that it fit with no notching of the braces. also It had an aluminum body not cast iron.
TJThunder66

Post by TJThunder66 »

Been a while and I wanted to update. I ended up purchasing a Centrix booster. Had a buddy help me install it and we got stuck at bolting it back in. The rod that fits between the brackets doesn't fit between the brackets... UGH. Now I am debating detaching the brackets from the firewall, bolting it all together and then trying to remount the bracket to the firewall.... not super excited about that, but I want my car back on the road.

The other thought was returning the Centrix and buying from another source...one that came all together. What a headache this has been....
Stuart522

Post by Stuart522 »

Hello,

I'm having issue due to installing taller valve covers. I've read the posts and the abspowerbrake.com part # 9759 looks like a winner.
also looked at mpbrakes the 7'' booster only.

just wondering if anyone has had the same issue with these working when installing higher valve covers?

OR has anyone just cut the corner of the valve cover and welded a piece over it? These valve covers are ending up costing $1000 and a car that just sits in mechanics garage for months...i think he must drive it around, he never wants to get the simplest job done.

Thanks!
:n00b:
1966 T-Bird (almost finished-if that's possible)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR (super-charged V8 - 541 hp)
2003 Harley XLH Hugger
1966 Mustang - (SOLD for Cash$ and a Winchester Rifle) Will buy one complete if i want one
TJThunder66

Post by TJThunder66 »

I'm still in the same boat as I was prior. We pulled the valve cover off and tested and the back side of the brake booster that cotter pins to the pedal is hitting the firewall. I spoke with Booster Dewey finally and they said that the only thought is to find a shorter "squatty" dual master from someone like MB and then use spacers on the back end of the booster...issue is not getting it to thread down thought, it's that it's hitting the firewall once set inside the bracket. They did say the bendix bracket, which could be my issue, as I am swapping from the Midland 10" to the Bendix 8" is actually different, is shorter.... but they don't believe it would fix the firewall problem I am running into. Still at square one.

How is it that others have done this SO easily and I am having such an issue.....?

As a note, I also have the upgraded chrome valve covers, but those are not the issue here.... it's the distance from the back of the new booster to the firewall. I'm thinking about refurbishing my Midland and reinstalling it and buying a monte carlo bar.... It's been 1 years since the bird has been on the road. So disheartened..... Any advice is welcomed.
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

I've heard of people here in Australia using a HQ Holden (GM) Master Cylinder. They are shorter and deep.
They look like this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/3319111 ... 107&chn=ps
sleeper bird

Post by sleeper bird »

Bobs birdhouse sells a direct replacement master cylinder .I had very little,if any issues with the install.
Cadriano1

Post by Cadriano1 »

I read that the 67 mustang dual master cylinder set up will fit but only after you cut the plate a few inches, and assure that it is still strong.
mainstreetprod

Post by mainstreetprod »

I also bought the Birdhouse master that bolts right on the original booster and clears the bar. No issues at all other than having to bend new lines to fit it.