Water cooled carb spacer. Any real benefit to leaving it on?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

Mr-Mach1

Post by Mr-Mach1 »

No, you're just sorry. A guy with all your vast knowledge and skills must have so much better things to do than to change your name so you can come with an hang with the likes of us backyard buddies. You should do the world a favor and start your own forum/website to show everyone the awsome work youve done in your fabulous career. Its called put up or shut up here in NYC. Maybe you've heard it before?
edpol

Post by edpol »

Now that I have learned so much from you guys I can truly see the race inspired and true performance and high quality of this front suspension!
That says it all right there. You're not open minded at all. Your own words, in many off your posts, translate to "all cars should be performance cars".
This suspension wasn't race inspired. It was engineered using allowable technology in that era, for a smooth, comfortable ride. I'll stress the key words, because you're so thick headed:
Allowable - Technology - In - That- Era
Smooth -Comfortable - Ride
These cars fell in line with Henry Ford's philosophy of "cars for the masses". They were designed to be an affordable personal luxury car, not a high performance race car.
You're right about one thing: Companies want to cut costs. The problem was the bigwigs in the Big 3 corporate headquarters were just as thick headed as you are.
After WWII, they refused to administer techniques we were teaching the Japanese, as we assisted in rebuilding Japan.
They refused to switch to radial tires, even though that technology was fast becoming standard overseas from the late '40's, through the '50's. It was about 30 years later, when radial tires became standard on American made cars.
They refused to accept rack and pinion steering and McPherson struts, which were also popular among foreign carmakers. My guess is because they couldn't own the patents.
You were doing good, until now. Once a blowhard, always a blowhard.
Last edited by edpol on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mr-Mach1

Post by Mr-Mach1 »

Pics of a scoop on a hood. Pics of an engine and a car with the back half cut up. You are so awsome. Can't wait to see it finished.

Behold!!! Here is the most awsome man in the world !!!
jidi

Post by jidi »

I think that last sentence sums it up!
jidi

Post by jidi »

Yep! Time to flush!
edpol

Post by edpol »

You're just proving yourself to be a elitist blowhard. For many of us, this is a hobby, we may only restore and/or modify just a few cars, or maybe just one. For someone like you, who builds many vehicles, it makes sense to have expensive machines.
Why would I pay $330 for pre-made hubs I can modify myself (and a little help from a machine shop) for less than $150?
The mopar hubs are round, balanced, and they work. I just had to have the outer bearing seat moved inward 1/8" to get the cotter pin in. There's no sense buying a lathe just to make 2 hubs.
The rotors cost $30 each, cutting wheel was $3, used maybe $5 in electricity, machining was $60, and new lugs cost $20. Total for two hubs was $148.
From there, you just get 12" crown Vic rotors, and new GM D52 calipers for $170, both of which are comparable in size to the old '68 full size Lincoln/Ford disc brakes. And, comparable to a $1000 conversion kit from MP brakes. Make your own brackets for $25. A new MC is $50, prop valve $65, new cunifer lines and fittings about $50, hardware $20. New hoses cost about $100. New bearings (Timken) are about $60. Add $10 for brake fluid, and you have new brake system up to the rear drums, for $700, assuming the 9 1/4" stock booster is in good working order.
Now, if you want to take the time to polish up and remove any imperfections from the hubs and brackets, you can certainly do that. There's nothing "half azzed" about it, it's just using common tools instead of machines that most people don't have, or need.
This is a brake system for normal driving, 6 piston calipers with 13" rotors aren't necessary, although you can go that route if you want to.
You could also go smaller, if you feel smaller brakes are adequate. They are a substantial improvement over the drums when properly tuned. I know that for a fact, because I drove a car with the smaller brakes.
Last edited by edpol on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
60fore

Post by 60fore »

What's your next username gonna be?

Maybe "iamnotbdastrk"? That should be enough to fool us LOL!!

Using that wonderful invention called Google I was able to find that this is not the first forum to experience your pompous, boorish presence. The common thread though seems to be that your lifespan on these other forums has been short, for obvious reasons. Let's hope the trend continues.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
Mr-Mach1

Post by Mr-Mach1 »

If you're so great why are you here busting the chops of the less fortunate ? The only original post I recall is about race mufflers. Where's all the step by step info on how to do a four link from scratch ? Come on Bro. Help a fella out. I got a crayon and twelve toes on a stick. I'm ready! I'm ready! Certainly with all those Super Skills and your Couragous Cat budget you're going to design and install some tubular control arms and coilovers. Lemme see pleeeaaaase. Hey Rocky, whatch me pull a Thunderbird outta my hat. You're a funny guy. I'm gonna look you up when I get inside the Matrix.

Pics of two street rods and a bike. Sounds like the beginning of a bar. joke. Regardless of it all there's no reason for you to act like such a tool. Its possible you may have skills and resources but you certainly have no class or manners. I hope you kept enough resources to sustain your birth control supply. Remember to wipe your feet when you leave the barn. Don't want no DNA to leave the scene of the crime :) Wishin you the best.
edpol

Post by edpol »

The only original post I recall is about race mufflers.
Dont forget "Motor Update Piks!!!" from the guy who doesn't seek praise.

If this guy was Caruso, he'd be going to Karaoke bars telling people not to sing.
Last edited by edpol on Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr-Mach1

Post by Mr-Mach1 »

Hey edpol,
Its a waste of time. He can't hear you. I did my last post while on the throne. When I was done I turned around and tried talking to him. I didn't hear him speak but I could smell his breath.
edpol

Post by edpol »

:laughing5:
Mr-Mach1

Post by Mr-Mach1 »

edpol wrote:
The only original post I recall is about race mufflers.
Dont forget "Motor Update Piks!!!" from the guy who doesn't seek praise.

If this guy was Caruso, he'd be going to Karaoke bars telling people not to sing.
That's so funny.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

You guys do what you want, I'm done reading and responding to any of this crap. Leave it alone and it will go away, it's no fun to argue with yourself. edpol and mach 1, you're doing it to yourselves.
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
Mr-Mach1

Post by Mr-Mach1 »

Bad Byrd wrote:You guys are some funny dudes! LOl

Hell you have me laughing, different reason of coarse but laughing the same!

Mr Mach why would I help you or anyone else out, I didnt learn by reading a forum, I went out and learned how to do what I do on my own.
Why help anyone? Man you are a Super Tool :-). That's what forums are for. We help each other.

So you learned all your awesome skills all by yourself with no help. Not even a how to book? Oh yeah that's right. In The Matrix they just load the info into your brain. Bro,
you are both a liar and a clown.

As for helping me you should be so lucky. I'm far from convinced you have any skills other than being a jerk.

Enlighten us oh great one, why are you here? Don't have any friends outside Toonvillle?
Mr-Mach1

Post by Mr-Mach1 »

Ill score you that one. I am a fat guy but no longer indulge in seconds for rotund reasons :). I don't claim to be an expert at anything especially welding as my work shows but I can TIG but will MIG when i can just cause its faster. I am pretty funny though. This is confirmed. I got my FAA license in 1981. Cars have been my passion since I was 14. I've learned from books, mags, friends, coworkers and those who had knowledge to share. Learned by doing things wrong then doing it right . Still learning. Spent years as an auto parts rebuilber, auto machinist then into heavy truck & bus repair. I do all my own work except for trans rebuilding and do it all out my my two car garage. Not now or ever claiming to be an expert but I can hold my own at what I do. Never needed to use CNC. I can do a push up, a chin up and a sit up all in the same day. I also try to return the kindness that has been given to me by sharing with others. That's why I'm here. To learn and help.