Water cooled carb spacer. Any real benefit to leaving it on?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

edpol

Post by edpol »

I can do a push up, a chin up and a sit up all in the same day.
Wow. You're still in good shape. I have to wait 24 hours for the sit-up.

BTW Leon, did you keep the carb spacer?
We all did a great job of hijacking this thread, so I'm feeling a little guilty about getting off the subject asked about.
You guys do what you want, I'm done reading and responding to any of this crap. Leave it alone and it will go away, it's no fun to argue with yourself. edpol and mach 1, you're doing it to yourselves.

Good point, Bob
Mr-Mach1

Post by Mr-Mach1 »

No I didn't. I'm running an Edelbrock intake which is a little taller but I am running a 1/2" phenolic spacer. May go 3/4" latter on.

I too regret my part in the hijack but there are times when you can only take but so much. I'll leave it alone.
edpol

Post by edpol »

With so many switching to phenolic spacers, even with stock manifolds, it seems logical that there aren't significant benefits to the heated spacer. However, there doesn't seem to be any useful info on the optimal thickness.
Mr-Mach1

Post by Mr-Mach1 »

As it was posted earlier the taper to keep the Carb level would be the main reason to keep it..
edpol

Post by edpol »

I never understood the concept of keeping the carb level. The car still runs and starts, even on a steep incline.
I can understand having it level when setting the float levels, but that can easily be otained by jacking one end of the car up. In fact, for some who do their own work, this may be necessary if there is no level ground to work with.
JMHO, but I think there's more to the taper than just keeping the carb level, but have yet to find any info. All I've heard or read, is that running without a spacer caused vapor lock problems for some guys.
30psi

Post by 30psi »

I think keeping them level just makes theoretical sense, but when the car is in use and sees any acceleration/deceleration/cornering then it starts becoming irrelvant.

My dual quad setup is from a Galaxie 427 and as the Tbird engine sits at almost level, they till forward a few degrees. I've not had any issues.

On the topic of spacers - I wonder if these give the gains that are claimed? http://www.highvelocityheads.com/ss.htm
edpol

Post by edpol »

My dual quad setup is from a Galaxie 427 and as the Tbird engine sits at almost level, they till forward a few degrees. I've not had any issues.
Thanks. That's the kind of feedback I've been looking for. It just seems to defy logic that keeping the carb level is vital. Just wondering if there's any performance gains if one end of the carb is further away from the manifold.
72fetter

Post by 72fetter »

woah, i step away for a minute and.......long story short. I hacksawed the coolant nipples and left the crankcase vent shaft and reconnected the factory hose for that. now its an "air cooled" spacer ;)
1962 Thunderbird
30psi

Post by 30psi »

I bet it still just gets as hot either way
72fetter

Post by 72fetter »

especially in Cali
1962 Thunderbird
30psi

Post by 30psi »

72fetter wrote:especially in Cali
Alright, don't rub it in :lol: It's cold and raining in London
72fetter

Post by 72fetter »

As my british bassist would say..."its always raining in london"
1962 Thunderbird
surfmurf

Re: Water cooled carb spacer. Any real benefit to leaving it on?

Post by surfmurf »

The water cooled carb spacer is NOT intended to warm your carb. It is intended to COOL it to keep the temperature of the gasoline down so as to avoid PERCOLATION of the gas (Vapor Lock). Murf