My bagged 63 ..now with new paint

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

Dazza

My bagged 63 ..now with new paint

Post by Dazza »

I thought I would post up a few pics of my 63 landau.
I bought it via the h.a.m.b from a guy in North Carolina in September of last year and it eventually landed here in the uk in late January .
Thankfully I wasn't disappointed, It turned out exactly as described and it pretty good condition for a 50year old car.
Modifications at the moment are mostly to the suspension and wheels .
The air system is mostly ridetech stuff ,with shockwaves on the front ,mounted through modified upper arms . The rear is air over leaf ,with standard shocks and two leaves remaining .
The tank is a ridetech 3 gallon filled with a viair 380c ,lines are 3/8 and its all controlled by a little Larrys fourplay manual valve system .
It doesn't quite lay rails but will lay exhaust lol.
The wheels are 7x15 supremes with 205/70/15 pinner whites .
Future plans include some custom 60's paint ,with candy blue fades over flake and lace panels and flaking those horrible landau fake wood veneers inside.

Here's how it looked in North Carolina

Here's how it looks at the moment

The rear bag mounts ,welded to the chassis

The front shockwaves

The littlelarrys fourplay ,mounted through the stock radio hole with a temporary homemade face plate.

Last edited by Dazza on Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Treozen

Post by Treozen »

Looks really good already ? I like the switch locations, nice use of existing ?spaces?. Sometimes I like lace work, other times not so much, I think it depends on how much and the ?type? - some patterns really do belong on the back of a couch, and not much else. Looking forward to seeing it done.

What do you think of removing the front bumper guard? I?ve been considering doing that, but can?t decide if I like it or not ? there are a few pictures out there but most people seem to keep the guard in place.
Current Classic Garage (or money pits):
1957 Chevy Belair
1963 Thunderbird
1978 Corvette
1979 Ford F250

Prior Money Pits:
1976 Camaro
1983 Jaguar XJ6 (converted)
1966 Cadillac
Dazza

Post by Dazza »

Thanks Treozen.
The paint I have planned wont be all lace ,just one or two sections and it will be subtle ,kinda ghosted under the candy.
I have removed the bumper guard once already but wasn't sure if I liked it ,so refitted it ,plus I needed somewhere to bolt my number plate
It's only four bolts and ten minutes work to take it off ,so have a go on yours ,see if you prefer it without
novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

Those HAMB boys sure love their Radirs......

John
Professional Pic Whore

30psi

Post by 30psi »

Looks nice Dazza. Be good to see what this drives like now. Is it much different?

Like mine, I'd be removing the bumper guard too
Dazza

New paint

Post by Dazza »

The cars had a little winter make over..

All the white was reprinted and freshened up ,then blue pearl base with blue candy lace ,fades and patterns .
I still have to finish refitting and cleaning parts up ,then move on to trimming the boot and new carpets etc inside .

SGTCornewell

Post by SGTCornewell »

how does the air ride system feel going down the road?
Dazza

Post by Dazza »

It rides ok ,not as good as stock but more than acceptable.
I'm getting some vibration which I'm not sure if it's down to pi?on angle or if the exhaust is hitting on the body somewhere.
I need to get it up on a four poster ramp and check it at ride height.
edpol

Post by edpol »

Beautiful graphics. I like the "speaker grilles". Great way to efficiently distribute sound waves!
WC145

Post by WC145 »

Nice! Great looking car, I especially like the bellflower exhaust tips. Those pipe organ speaker covers were popular with the low rider crowd when I was a kid in California in the '70s.
Fire it up and Let's Go Cruising! www.letsgocruising.org
Dazza

Post by Dazza »

Thanks for the kind comments guys
AngryBirds

Post by AngryBirds »

Personally I liked it when it was lowered with the base color. Not a big fan of lace prints and airbrush because it makes it look more tacky. But its your car so you can do what you wish.
Current Thunderbird Projects:
1965 White Hardtop
1965 Red Convertible Project (Bodywork Stage)
Magnus

Re: My bagged 63 ..now with new paint

Post by Magnus »

Hey, I just finished putting air ride on my 66. The rear bags look the same as yours. I was just curious how you fit your exhaust around the rear bags?? It's my next mission...
Dazza

Post by Dazza »

hey magnus
they exhaust system on my bird isn't stock and is routed far enough away from the bags ,to not cause any problems .
BattleBird

Post by BattleBird »

Hi Dazza, I was wondering if you could please send me the part number to the front shocks used for your build. Thank you sir.