The Disk Brake Diary.....Thread covering Disk swap on a '63

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

edpol

Post by edpol »

Since you have to install a prop valve anyway, it wouldn't take much more work to install a dual MC.
I forgot to mention, the booster for '65-'66 Tbirds is a 9" dual diaphragm, which probably has more braking power than our 9 1/4" single diaphragm boosters. That may account for being able to work with a single MC.
I've seen a few Galaxies with similar kits. The owners just changed to disc/drum 1" bore MC's without changing the booster. No problems, or at least none they would admit to.
bigbrownpilot

Post by bigbrownpilot »

edpol wrote:'65-'66 Tbirds have a 9" dual, but I'm not sure if the clearances under the hood are the same as the earlier Tbirds. Rather than change the booster, is there a reason why you didn't go back to the original?
My reason was simple-- the booster that came with the car was shot. No power assist at all, which made stopping a 4500# behemoth a 1/4 mile exercise in planning. We should not have accepted the car that way from the sellers, but wound up having it shipped home on a flatbed anyway after the left front tire had a tread separation and we found the "new" 14" tires on the car were new in 2001 and were all dry rotted. Since I was planning front discs when I bough the car and I knew we were going to have to buy four new tires, I decided not to wait on getting the disc brake kit-- just ordered it and four 15" mags and tires. As you may recall, I installed the SSBC 9" booster and modified the stock factory master cylinder to work with it before I did the rest of the brake system.

I'm pretty sure that someone with a good working stock factory booster who wanted to use a FoMoCo disc/drum master cylinder could install it and do the conversion without changing the booster. In fact, I hope someone tries that and lets us know how it works with one of the basic kits.

Dave
edpol

Post by edpol »

Yes, I remember that about you booster, Dave. An asset to using those 9" booster/Vette MC kits, is you won't have to do anything but remove the RP valve if you decide to convert the rears later. probably a selling point as well.
I'm using the stock booster, with a '60's-'70's MC, since I have no intention of converting the rear brakes. Hydroboost will come later, even if the booster works out.
bigbrownpilot

Post by bigbrownpilot »

edpol wrote:Yes, I remember that about you booster, Dave. An asset to using those 9" booster/Vette MC kits, is you won't have to do anything but remove the RP valve if you decide to convert the rears later. probably a selling point as well.
I'm using the stock booster, with a '60's-'70's MC, since I have no intention of converting the rear brakes. Hydroboost will come later, even if the booster works out.
I probably won't convert the rear brakes, either. Please share what MC you use with the stock booster and how it works out. You will love it when you install Hydroboost! Here's a picture in the Turbo Vega I owned:

edpol

Post by edpol »

I had hydroboost on one of my Lincolns years ago. The difference was noticeable when I got another one without it. The car was a Mark IV, you could see the hydroboost unit in this video of a similar car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqxy0IZgq7Q

As was mentioned by John, you could get used systems for Mustangs, at around $100. If you don't like used, use the unit as a core and get a rebuilt at most auto parts stores, for less than $150. The hoses are expensive, some cost more than the unit itself. They work best with PS pumps that have 2 return line fittings.
Since it's not new technology, it's been around since about 1973, I'm surprised the system hasn't fully replaced vaccuum boosters by now. I believe it was invented to give diesel powered vehicles power brakes without having to have an air brake system. It worked so well, some gas powered cars came with it from the factories.
The Tbird I drove with the metric conversion had an MC from a Ford F150, IIRC. The car stopped way better than the front drums. I'm going with a '67 Tbird MC. Same 1" bore, but the front line comes out of the bottom, and it has a bleeder. Should work out the same, especially with the calipers for full size GM's.
JesseGalaway

Re: The Disk Brake Diary.....Thread covering Disk swap on a '63

Post by JesseGalaway »

I converted using a kit almost identical to the one picture in the original post of this thread. It came with the goofy booster that doesn't bolt up or anything. I tweaked it all and adjusted everything and I'm still not happy with the booster at all. I was hoping someone on here had a suggestion for a booster that bolts up and connects to the correct original linkage without pushing the master cylinder too far forward?

The way my booster is setup now make the braking linkage bind at first because the connection to the arm behind the booster isnt right.
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

The key I think is to use the original booster bracket and attach the booster to it. I think it is covered in page 3 of this thread.

If you have already done that, maybe a photo if you can so we can figure out the issues.?

graeme
1962 Hardtop - in Melbourne, Australia
Salmonking

Post by Salmonking »

I know this thread is older, but hopefully someone can help a guy out. I recently purchased a 62, and bought the auto city classics brake conversion kit. They seem to have made a few improvements but im having major issues with the rotor install.

First, the seals they sent with weren't even remotely close to fitting, so I went to the parts store and got some for the granada rotors, which were the exact same as what came with the kit.

I got suspicious so I decided to do a test fit with the spindle adapter, bearings and rotor, what I found was the rotor does not slide in far enough to mount the caliper with the outside pad.

The spindle adapter slid on like it should, and the bearing slid onto that just fine.

Am I just being an idiot or does it sound like they may have sent the wrong rotors? Thanks in advance. I'll try to get pics later on, I gave up on it today.
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

I'm sure there was something on here about that kit and one of the parts needing to be modified. But I can't find it at this point.
Dave Stambaugh

Post by Dave Stambaugh »

I have brakes with the engine off however when I start the engine the pedal goes al the way to floor and will not pump up. Did you use the Vacuum booster supplied by Auto City classics?