aerostar springs

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

62 blackbird

aerostar springs

Post by 62 blackbird »

I have read some posts and it has been stated that Aerostar springs can be installed as replacement for fronts on 61-63 Birds and this will give the front a drop. Is this true or should I cut my existing front springs. If so how much should I cut them. I have 17's on the front. Thanks.
Bleeding Ford blue
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

I highly doubt Aerostar springs are a good replacement idea for '61-'66 'Birds. I've seen reference to the Aerostar springs for lowering a front end on early-mid '50s full-size Fords like my '55 Victoria, but their weight is less than what's on an early-mid '60s 'Bird, PLUS the suspension geometry is different due to the spring being above the upper A-arm on a 'Bird versus trapped between the lower A-arm and frame/structure on the Aerostar.

If someone's been brave enough to do this and lived to tell about it, I'd love to know.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I have Aerostar springs on my Edsel.
Subscribed if they will fit a Bullet.

I got new ones for $60 at NAPA.
"Keep Cool, Little Thunderbird Ford"
Yeti Man

Post by Yeti Man »

I cut one coil from the stock springs and I am also running 17's; it sits just right. No rubbing or bottoming out, no funky steering. I seriously doubt the aerostar springs would work on these cars.

'63 Thunderbird Ex-Landau
Registry #31935
You can always tell a Texan......but you can't tell him much.
PabloG

Re:

Post by PabloG »

Yeti Man wrote:I cut one coil from the stock springs and I am also running 17's; it sits just right. No rubbing or bottoming out, no funky steering. I seriously doubt the aerostar springs would work on these cars.

sorry I know this is an old post but how does the car ride with the cut springs? would you do it again? Thinking of doing the same to my 63.

Thanks