4.6L into 61-3 - I've Seen It Done!

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

Wklink

Re:

Post by Wklink »

Beach Bum wrote:But in 1963 Ford also put the K-code 289 in the Galaxie, with its curb weight of around 3800 pounds, which is very close to what my T-bird will weigh with the 289/manual trans installed. And no one considered the Galaxie a dog with that drive train. The T-bird did not really 'need' all the 300 hp and 450 pounds of torque the 390 provided -- that was just part of Detroit's big power marketing competition of the time (when gas was 19 cents a gallon).

Since my 63 HT came with no engine, I'm just looking to use one of the existing motors I already own and have a Bird that will drive down the road nicely and not cost anymore than necessary to do it. Besides, I didn't buy my Bullet Bird to engage in off the line punch-outs at the intersection. I bought it because I've always loved the superb styling and roomy cockpit. If I wanted a street screamer I'd just stick with my Mustangs and Camaros.

I'm not familiar with Ford putting the K code engine in a Galaxie. I'm sure it could have been done but I am not sure why anyone would do it. Anyone wanting a higher performance engine for their big Ford would go with a 390/406/427 which had a higher rated base horsepower and torque. The K code was a high winding engine and Ford wouldn't even warranty it for longer than a month after purchase. I'm not saying that it wasn't done, it just wouldn't have been that practical in a car like the Galaxie. Why opt for 271 HP and the inherent risk of the engine failing when you can pull 400 with a stock top oiler 427. Not many of those were made either though.
Thomas Cofield
1962 Hardtop, 'Thumper' Red/Black
1962 Hardtop, 'The Survivor' White/Red
VTCI-PNW
RSSVTCI
Jim Patterson

Re: 4.6L into 61-3 - I've Seen It Done!

Post by Jim Patterson »

Okay....I'm not an engine expert, and I know these pics and question should probably go in the 64-66 mod forum, but.... since you guys are into this whole engine discussion . . . .

I was at the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville this last weekend and took pics of a slammed and nicely done 64 T-bird. The owner wasn't around so I couldn't ask questions. What is this supercharged engine they stuffed in there? Any ideas?

Last edited by Jim Patterson on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Patterson
Louisville, KY
Red '61 Hardtop
Jim Patterson

Post by Jim Patterson »

Also..... for anyone interested in the LS1 possibility, here's the former "Flubber" movie 63 T-bird with that engine:

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/FL0112 ... Automatic/

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/ ... IBLE-96459
Jim Patterson
Louisville, KY
Red '61 Hardtop
VicRattlehead

Post by VicRattlehead »

Jim Patterson wrote: What is this supercharged engine they stuffed in there? Any ideas?
thats a DOHC Modular 4.6L (most likely) or a 5.4L

got any more pics? interior exterior stuff.
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
Jim Patterson

Post by Jim Patterson »

VicRattlehead wrote:thats a DOHC Modular 4.6L (most likely) or a 5.4L. got any more pics? interior exterior stuff.
Sorry for the delay responding Vic....
Here's more pics of the same car:

Jim Patterson
Louisville, KY
Red '61 Hardtop
T enzo

Post by T enzo »

I own a 1961 Thunder bird in the process of swapping a 2006 ford crown vic engine looking for any help or pictures It would be greatly appreciated.
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

I put a 06 4.6 into mine, it runs a LOT better than the old cast iron machine. Also gets way better fuel milage and loosing all that fat up front made the car much lighter and fun to drive. Mine is the 3v. We didn't stop there though, we cut the old springs out, removed all the old worn and dated stuff and put in a crown vic front end. Now it handles perfect, runs perfect and stops perfect. My car was not perfect when I started so I had nothing to loose really. you can see a lot more of it on my website www.BigDogRides.com. look for the tbird named Matilda.
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

I've seen it done, I have done it. its wonderful. trying to get an image uploaded to this. how does that work? I can send picts or upload if I can figure it out.
bigdog

Post by bigdog »

I have tried posting a reply to this thread several times. Now its just weird. maybe I am repeating myself. S
Jim Patterson

Post by Jim Patterson »

bigdog,

Here's a link to a post on how to post images:
http://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/p ... =3&t=11746

Personally I load mine up to a website I host and then put the URL of the photo into the [img] syntax within the message editor.
Jim Patterson
Louisville, KY
Red '61 Hardtop
portbogie1

Post by portbogie1 »

Hey Mister, this is my first time in and I am desperately trying to find a better front and rear suspension for my sons 63' bird. I have checked all the popular sites (TCI,Scots, Fatman, etc) and NOBODY makes a bolt on IFS kit for these cars! I saw the comment about he 03 crown vic and I saw the link for the Heidts SuperRide II from a fairlane, but both sound like heavy mods to the frame. Any ideas or suggestions on how to get an IFS into my sons 63' without hacking up the frame? Any help would be great, thanks!
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Now there is a 7.3 pushrod iron block Godzilla engine.
I wonder how long before one finds its way into a Rocketbird?
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/inside- ... ushrod-v8/
Attachments
Ford-Godzilla-7.3-L-Pushrod-Big-Block-V8-01.jpg
"Keep Cool, Little Thunderbird Ford"
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Here's a modern engine I'd like to try. Not a v8 but one hell of a mover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ6O1qnMmak
stubbie

Post by stubbie »

Just found this also. coyote in a Bullet Bird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmKn4ONUVPE