Replaced idler arm & Bracket, now she wanders.

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

El Leon

Replaced idler arm & Bracket, now she wanders.

Post by El Leon »

I replaced the idler arm, bushing and bracket in my '61 with the upgraded '64 unit while doing the motor swap. The steering hadn't had the dreaded "worble" where it would noticeably bounce off the blown bushing as my '63 did.

However, there seems to be a bit of a wander to the front steering now and it feels unsafe at speeds over about 30 mph. Now, the idler install was going on about 8+ months ago now back when I had a shop to work in so I don't remember all steps taken (the motor was out when the idler went in).

Do you guys have any suggestions of compulsory settings that should have been made/adjusted when this went in? I haven't found anything in the repair manuals or on here that any other settings/changes were necessary when replacing the idler.

Ultimately I need to drive the car approximately 15 miles to get it to the shop for her full front-end suspension rebuild (am too busy at work to have this as a weekend project) and am not 100% confident in what's going on with the steering right now.

Idler upgrade:
https://www.parts123.com/parts123/dynde ... uKeY=AAARY
Stirling Moss once said “There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.”

But then Albert Einstein replied, “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”