GM Alternator conversion

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

merged

GM Alternator conversion

Post by merged »

My '62 is finally up & running, just lacking the "juice"... and would rather NOT fry a new alternator.

Does anybody have a detailed diagram of their GM alternator conversion they'd be willing to share? I have a 3rd Gen alternator with a 4-wire plug(P-L-I/F-S), though, only 2 wires get used.

Some threads I've read either have deleted images or lack details I need.

I'd really appreciate the help.

-merged
At cruisin' altitude :cool:
Wklink

Re: GM Alternator conversion

Post by Wklink »

https://carcrap.net/product/2-piece-low ... rsion-kit/

I used this for my 62 when I did the alternator conversion. It works very well.

It isn't the cheapest solution but it was a lot better than the jerry rigged method that was on the car when I started.
Thomas Cofield
1962 Hardtop, 'Thumper' Red/Black
1962 Hardtop, 'The Survivor' White/Red
VTCI-PNW
RSSVTCI
Wklink

Post by Wklink »

As for the wiring, I had no problem with just running one wire to the solenoid and grounding the other. I didn't do anything special. Other than the generator light not working it seems to work fine.
Thomas Cofield
1962 Hardtop, 'Thumper' Red/Black
1962 Hardtop, 'The Survivor' White/Red
VTCI-PNW
RSSVTCI
RedBird64

Post by RedBird64 »

I recently installed a 1 wire Tuff Stuff alt. on the 64 and couldn't be happier with its performance.
We also installed EFI and a large electric fan that can draw 24 amps by itself. With those sizable loads, headlights, 6 tail lights with brakes on and heater fan on high, it still keeps up just fine at IDLE.
You can leave all the original wiring and V regulator installed but you don't hook up all the wires, just the larger charge wire. However, with our extra load we elected to install a 6awg lead directly to the starter solenoid.

Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.