Rear swaybar install / geometry

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

Steverino

Rear swaybar install / geometry

Post by Steverino »

So a number of years ago I purchased a set of heavy duty swaybars for my '62 from Thunderbirds Southwest (IIRC). The front bar was a bolt-on and, combined with lowering springs from Jamco, really transformed the handling of the car. The rear bar came with brackets to clamp it onto the rear axle, but the instructions for where to drill the unibody to bolt the end link connectors were really lacking.

Since then I've tried two different positions for those holes but I still get occasional loud snapping / popping sounds as the rear suspension handles certain normal road conditions. I assume the rear bar is binding somehow but I don't have the suspension knowledge to figure it out.

I'm about to just pull the thing and give up - the front bar helps a lot anyway. Does anyone have any relevant experience or advice to offer?

Thanks in advance!
Steve
'62 Landau

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"...
VTCI #11678
RedBird64

Re: Rear swaybar install / geometry

Post by RedBird64 »

Hi Steve,
I had the same kinds of noises from the rear SB with my 64. The problem was the part of the sway bar that loops around to the end link was hitting against the cars frame. The bar could move a little bit from side to side and hit on either side.
The fix was to center the bar exactly and then add a set of these lateral braces to the SB. http://www.suspension.com/universal-swa ... -locks.asp. You'll have to pic the right diameter for your SB's. I also added a heavy piece of rubber hose (split down center for installation) at the point where the bars wanted to contact the frame. That helps a little but the clamps really took care of the problem.
You can just see it on the inside of the axle bracket:

Hope this helps,
Scott
1964 Coupe Wimbledon white/Rangoon Red w/black int. Owned for 42 years. It was my folks car before that (second owners). VTCI # 12013.
Steverino

Re: Rear swaybar install / geometry

Post by Steverino »

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll definitely check it out!
Steve
'62 Landau

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"...
VTCI #11678