Starter options?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Wklink

krave

Starter options?

Post by krave »

I have a 1961 with a 390..I am thinking im going to change out the starter..sometimes it doesn't work..I hit the key and the starter spins just not the engine.once it(starter) stops spinning I hit the key again and its fine..I am wondering if anyone has any other options other then the 1961 starter..is there any smaller,lighter, better,etc... options..

Thanks....Gary
62birdman

Re: Starter options?

Post by 62birdman »

Check some of the aftermarket suppliers. I know MSD makes a small hi performance starter, Powermaster, as well. I don't know if they make one for the FE. Check with Summit, or Jegs.
truesteve

Post by truesteve »

Try Robb MC Performance - Ford Y-Block/Early FE Gen II Mini-Starter – PN 3026, 1958-1964 Ford 331-428 Series FE V8 with 153 Tooth ring gear - $269.00

This is not an endorsement of Robb's product, as the one I received last week has not been installed or tried on a cold morning. It is supposed to be a direct bolt on for the stock 153 teeth ring gear, and adjustable by rotating to assist in installation with headers. Kind of expensive, but if it saves skin from the knuckles, is 4 lbs lighter, and works on the cold mornings...I guess it's worth it.
FORD 61 bulletbird white/green Resto mod project
FORD 63 bulletbird white/red - parts for sale
FORD 85 F350 4x4 Diesel Turbo Dually/Crew
FORD 76 F250 4x4 highboy
FORD 48 8N Tractor work horse
GeoffInCarlsbad

Post by GeoffInCarlsbad »

I ordered the same starter from McRobb and getting prepared to install it. From another thread with bbogue, it sounds very straightforward. I'll post some pics removing original and installing; but I guess I do have a question. The original starters have a dowel the has a drive starter on it.

The new starter does not have that. I believe the drive starter goes on the dowel with the gear toward the starter motor. I am wonderin what is/was the purpose of mounting a separte Starter Drive (PN 11350) over the Starter Moto (PN 11002)
IMG_1114.JPG
IMG_1112.JPG
IMG_1111.JPG
Geoff in Carlsbad CA
1961 T-Bird Convertible (in progress)
Love it! ::?