AGM Battery Case disassembly

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'm currently going through a not-so-good experience with my "battery-in-a-battery" saga (search the 1961-1963 Forum for my experience with these including having poles wired backwards and frying my charging system). Long story short the AGM in my repop, purchased 2012, won't hold a charge any more. I'd like to know if anyone has cut one of these open from the top, pulled the top off and replaced the AGM inside the case. I have to throw away a perfectly good case if I can open it up, replace the AGM inside, and reinstall the top with the mock cells/caps/"tar-top" sealer.

Moderator note: Selected posts were separated from the original thread by popular demand.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Alan, I do not see why your idea of re/re the battery would not work. GO FOR IT. A little patience and a sharp knife, I think would work. Sounds like a first time attempted effort, have not seen your idea before.
Sounds like another article to write for the Scoop!, as if you do not already have to much on your plate. Good luck.
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Got a PM with a link to a posting on The Ford Barn (which I also subscribe to, BTW) in the Late-V8 section. I think I have a game plan that will involve a drill, a cut-off wheel or jig saw, screws, metal straps or a plate, and a visit to my local battery store to find a better battery that will fit in the case. But not this weekend - something about getting ready for a pre-25th wedding anniversary party...
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
tnswt12

Post by tnswt12 »

Well when you do get around to the project, please post back to let the rest of us know how the project turned out and your recommendations.
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Alan, it looks like your idea has taken root, and some are interested, so I would think, it needs to get moved to the Modified section and given a new title.
1964 Red Convertible
scolastico

Post by scolastico »

I would be interested in this conversion as well. When I purchased my 57, it had a replica Power Punch battery. Had some body work done on the car by a local body shop, and when I picked it up, the battery was dead and wouldn't take a charge and the regulator, as well, did not produce a charge. The shop said the battery drained because my "stop lights" were stuck on( which is probably true) and burned out both devices. But I now believe they somehow caused the problems. Anyway, I have a great looking Power Punch case and would like to try and reuse it.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

The AGM reproduction in my car has a hard plastic like sealer on top. I have an old (dead) lead acid one and this area is soft enough to dent with a fingernail. It seems to be tar like and I would imagine could be melted out with a heat gun, but the new reproduction batteries may need careful cutting - I don't think it would melt. Interesting project!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Industrial electric fork truck batteries are individual celled units, with soldered links between. When an individual cell fails, there is no need to replace the whole battery, only the cell. This is done by cutting out the tar seal, desoldering the links, pull the cell and replace. Then repour the tar seal and solder back the links.
The tar seal is a rubberized hot melt product, and when cool is dry to touch, but soft enough to bruise with a finger nail.
Any industrial battery guy could possible be contacted to get a small chunk and replicate the tar top look.
It is a super fine detail to replicate but I know some of us will go to great lengths to do it.
ALSO not sure, but maybe some old, real tar top batteries exist or the repops are doing just that, c/w individual cells. HMMMM!

THIS topic really needs to move to its own topic as I see it growing exponentially.
1964 Red Convertible
ICON 1956

Post by ICON 1956 »

I am told that Antique Battery has gone out of business, but a person that worked there has taken over. The new company is Jim's Battery. Did you have a business card in your shipment from Jim's Battery?

Last week I needed new battery caps I accidentally stepped on a few as they fell from the car when replacing theGroup 29n to a Group 32n.. I called and spoke to Teresa from Jim's Battery from Youngstown Ohio. She was so helpful in sending me not just a few which I broke but 6 to replace all at NO CHARGE ! That's what I call service ! I would encourage to ALL fellow members to give them a call they will work with you in any way they can. Thank You so much Teresa for your kind and willing attention to my situation.
Here's their Address:
Jim's Battery mfg
602 W Rayen Ave
Youngstown, Ohio 44502
Phone # 1800-426-7580
1956 Thunderbird Sage Green
1953 Ford Custom Liner Hot Rod With Flat 8 Motor with Henderson three 2 barrel Carbs
VTCI Member # 12309