looking for opinions on V6 mod

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

fordrodsteven

looking for opinions on V6 mod

Post by fordrodsteven »

Hi all, I have a 55 that was modified many years ago to a 289 three speed. I started out with plans to restore the car to original. I traded off the engine and trans and began accumulating parts to put the car back to original. Upon closer review and calculations of cost for the full restoration I opted to return to the modified version. Now the car has a 302 automatic sitting in it and I am just beginning a body off rebuild. I have found my 1955 frame has a section about a foot long that is badly rotted (right in front of the right rear tire where the frame arches up to go over the rear end). I have purchased a very nice 56 frame to put under the body. The frame needs modifications to allow transplanting the more modern power plant into it. I am also planning to update suspension and brakes. Even possibly replace the rear end.
So.... I have toying with the idea of picking up something like a late 90's fox body mustang (6 cylinder automatic) and transplanting the drive train and disc brakes. It could save me some money on parts doing it this way also. I have seen a few little birds with 302's, 351W's and even a 390. Just wondering what thoughts people may have on a V6? okay.... Fire away!
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird
Joe Johnston

Re: looking for opinions on V6 mod

Post by Joe Johnston »

Sounds like you have a great project. The bottom line is you should build your car to suit your enjoyment.

MY opinion: The V-6 would work without a doubt but you would face similar issues in adapting that engine and linkages to the 56 frame as you will with the 302. Changing to the Mustang front suspension to get disk brakes will probably work as well, but kits are available to convert to disks using existing front spindles. The rear end is strong, so why change it? I see no advantage of buying another car to dismantle to accomplish those goals when you already have an engine and transmission to use. A 302 can be built to be mild or wild depending on your desire (and checkbook). If you are thinking of rack and pinion steering along with the disk brakes by grafting on the entire sub frame, and perhaps an independent rear end, an appropriate parts car may be the way to go, but just to have the goal of a later engine in a stock frame, the 302 would be a great choice - plus you already have it.

Have fun - which ever way you decide to go!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
fordrodsteven

Post by fordrodsteven »

I was thinking the V6 would be shorter than the V8 which could help with clearance at the steering box. But then on second thought. The V6 probably would have the same issues because the Mustang will take either the V6 or the V8 using the same frame locations.
One thing I like is that the 56 frame is stronger than the 55 frame because of the reinforcement that was done by FOMOCO due to hanging the continental kit on the back of the car.
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird
fordrodsteven

Post by fordrodsteven »

By the way Joe.... Thank you for the input! You commented about the rear end - "The rear end is strong, so why change it? " I was considering the change because I've been told that the spring perches are different from the 55 to the 56. The frame I bought is bare except for the front upper / lower control arms and coil springs. I figured If I have to change leaf springs and everything else due to the different spring perches I might consider a different rear end. Just kind of thinking out loud and would like to hear other peoples opinions. At this point there is nothing set as a concrete plan except for trying to maintain the "stock" exterior look. The car was originally white with a black / white interior. The interior plan is to remain mostly stock. I will probably paint the exterior a white pearl.
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Once you have everything side by side and start measuring I bet it will all come together for you.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

63SR Silver Mink
fordrodsteven

Post by fordrodsteven »

Well Joe, It seems you are the only person who has an opinion. After thinking about your comments I agree about sticking with the drivetrain I already have. The suspension parts from a newer donor car wouldn't fit any way so I'll just continue with my original plan to buy the suspension and brake upgrades from a Thunderbird supplier. Thanks for the help brainstorming!
Steve - 1955 Thunderbird
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Glad to have helped a bit and hope it comes together easily for you. J

63SR Silver Mink