My 1957 restoration has a 302 replacement engine:(

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Chmecray

My 1957 restoration has a 302 replacement engine:(

Post by Chmecray »

I just found out that my 1957 D code, fordomatic restoration has a 1968 ford 302 replacement engine (C8OE-6015A). I've been told it runs very well, however I've got some concerns and several questions. I'm a newbie, so I apologize in advance if these have been addressed previously in the forum. I appreciate any feedback

1) would this engine fit on my stock fordomatic transmission, if not how do I tell where the transmission comes from?

2) is ths a better engine than the original D code, and/or does it significantly decrease the resale value of the car?

3) if I replace the engine and am lucky enough to find an E code or if I find a D code and add dual 4V carbs, will it increase or decrease the resale value of the car?

4) if, when i replace the engine I switch to a manual transmission, will it increase or decrease the resale value? (Ideally I want a E code Manual)

Thx again
paul2748

Re: My 1957 restoration has a 302 replacement engine:(

Post by paul2748 »

First of all, no matter what you do to make it to be like an "E" code car, it will never be an E code with the resultant increase in value that an E car has.

If your desire is to have an E code car, that is what you should get and sell the "D".

With the 302, if you don't have an overdrive, the trans is probably a C4. Only some one examining it can tell you what it is. If it's an overdrive, chances are it is an AOD. These are the logical choices with the later engine. There are adapters that mate a C4 to a Yblock, but not an early Fordo to a 302.

In response to your other questions on resale value, it all depends on who is looking to buy. Some may prefer a Bird with updates while others may want a strictly factory car. The value of anything is what a buyer is willing to pay.

Whether the 302 is better than a Yblock is hard to answer. Certainly the 302 is more modern engine and either the C4 or AOD are much better transmissions than the old Fordo. But operational wise, the engines are pretty much the same. The only advantage I can see is the 302 weighs less than the Yblock.
Chmecray wrote:I just found out that my 1957 D code, fordomatic restoration has a 1968 ford 302 replacement engine (C8OE-6015A). I've been told it runs very well, however I've got some concerns and several questions. I'm a newbie, so I apologize in advance if these have been addressed previously in the forum. I appreciate any feedback

1) would this engine fit on my stock fordomatic transmission, if not how do I tell where the transmission comes from?

2) is ths a better engine than the original D code, and/or does it significantly decrease the resale value of the car?

3) if I replace the engine and am lucky enough to find an E code or if I find a D code and add dual 4V carbs, will it increase or decrease the resale value of the car?

4) if, when i replace the engine I switch to a manual transmission, will it increase or decrease the resale value? (Ideally I want a E code Manual)

Thx again
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
Chmecray

Post by Chmecray »

I likely will sell it after it's done. Of course I understand it's value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Seems to me that the best option is to find a D code w fordomatic transmission. I assume stock is going to gain the most interest. Wishful thinking I suppose that it would have the D code In there already, oh well. It's gonna be a fun project regardless!
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Always like to see a project progress. Keep us posted and best of luck.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink