Help with brake hose routings / proportioning valve for dual

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

Jimmytbird57

Help with brake hose routings / proportioning valve for dual

Post by Jimmytbird57 »

Please read my post about what kind of master Cylinder to use with my after market disc conversion purchased from partsonline.com which did not include a master cylinder. Do not purchase any thing from these people! They do not carry a master for this kit. Unbelievable!!! my post Jimmytbird57 under "What Master Cylinder".
paul2748

Re: Help with brake hose routings / proportioning valve for dual

Post by paul2748 »

See my response to your other question. They can help with the proportioning/residual pressure valve (called a combination valve)
1956 Fiesta Red 312
1954 Ford Victoria 312
1948 Ford Convertible Street Rod 302
zuburg

Post by zuburg »

I’be been reading a lot of posts concerning dual master cylinders, mostly along with disc brake conversions. I was thinking of replacing my stock master cylinder with a dual one but keeping my drum brakes (at least for now) for safety reasons. Does that make sense? I currently have my engine out and there is plenty of room to work. I could still add front disc brakes in the future, but the plumbing will already be done.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

zuburg -
Splitting the system to install a dual master may have some safety benefits. That said, a properly maintained and well functioning single master cylinder will work just fine as they have billions of times over the years. Is your brake fluid clean and clear or turning brown? Have you inspected your brake lines and hoses recently? Any leaks or fluid level changes? These all have far more importance to me. If all good, I see no real reason to change it. Engine in or out, doesn't really make much difference in convenience as there is plenty of room to work. Changing the lines is the easy part. A dual master with out a combination proportioning valve may (or may not, depending on the master selected) provide much of a safety benefit.

In my opinion, the swept area of the brake linings/drums is the weak point in the system, NOT the master. These narrow linings over heat quickly and fade fast in today's faster congested traffic. A conversion to disk brakes is well worth the effort and braking is improved. Several ways to make the conversion and all increase the braking ability. Brakes are important, so study the system selected and make sure you know what you are doing.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
zuburg

Post by zuburg »

Thanks for the advice. While the engine was out (U have a new one waiting for the Fordomatic to be rebuilt (been waiting over 2 years now), I replaced all the wheel cylinders, hoses, most of the hard lines, shoes, emergency brake cables, front suspension and coil springs, front and rear shocks. I think i will leave it alone now until I get it driving and see how it is. I can always add a bolt on front disc conversion in the future. I'm thinking of just doing the front discs using existing master cylinder and stock power booster.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Jimmytbird57

Sorry to hear about your experiences. I have never purchased anything from them, but have to ask: "wasn't a list of parts included in the description of their conversion"?

Please, don't take me wrong. I am not being critical or judgemental, but want to use this as an opportunity for others to be fully aware when buying parts for our Thunderbirds. I have always found our Thunderbird specific parts suppliers to be very helpful and have ordered from all of them over the decades. They have the knowledge and are often the ones responsible for making reproduction parts. Without them, our cars would be very difficult to source parts for.

Our suppliers have, and advertise as such, complete kits to make the disk brake conversions. One stop shopping. Yes, you can source the parts over the local parts counter or even junkyards if you know what specifically you are looking for and can stumble across it. Companies that provide parts for all makes and models will not be as knowledgeable about the specifics for a Thunderbird. In the past, I have called Hill's, Larry's, CASCO, Prestige, Concours and others and asked questions. ALL of our suppliers were willing to offer help and answered questions to my satisfaction over the years. That is what they are there for and we are very thankful to have helpful people and parts readily available from several sources. Safe brakes are important and I definitely understand and appreciate their liability concerns when their parts are mixed and matched with the unknown.

Disk brakes made a big improvement in my car, and hope you find the needed parts and your disk brake system works to your satisfaction.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

63SR Silver Mink
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

I can always add a bolt on front disc conversion in the future. I'm thinking of just doing the front discs using existing master cylinder and stock power booster.
Yes you can always do the conversion, but you MUST have the proper DISK/DRUM master cyl and not use the drum/drum style or single reservoir master cylinder. The reservoir for the disk section is larger and piston sizes are different also. A combination valve is also recommended.

I use the fender mounted original booster for the front disks and am satisfied with the improvement. The system is not as powerful as what we have on today's cars, but works very well.

63SR Silver Mink