More sound from my 56 little blue

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

puttekula

More sound from my 56 little blue

Post by puttekula »

Hi all.

And with more sound I dont want it to sound like a street car. Just some more of that sweet V8 thunder sound. a Thunderbird after all?

As I understand it theres a muffler and a resonator under the car. 2 pairs actually? Whats best to do to get that sweet sound?
Delete/modify the muffler or remove the resonator? Someone with experience of this?

Its a std 312 engine.

Thx
Joe Johnston

Re: More sound from my 56 little blue

Post by Joe Johnston »

Welcome to the 55-57 sections of the VTCI Forum. For better responses you may notice I have altered your post to also appear in the Modified Section as well.

Good luck in getting the sound you want. I have headers and full stainless exhaust and think it sounds good to me - but to some it's too loud and others not loud enough.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
puttekula

Post by puttekula »

Hi Joe, and thx for answer. Ahhh, this part I totally missed. More to read then....
CSavaglio

Post by CSavaglio »

I run Sanderson headers and glass packs. It has a great tone...Y-blocks just sound right with glass packs. If I'm remembering right, it was done through Waldrons. They do stock systems, but they will customize it for you... I went with a larger rear pipe (I think I went 2" all the way back) and had him not put the bends to go through the rear valance panel. My car was customized in 1958 and the gun sight exhaust pieces on the bumper were replaced with fin shaped guards and the valance smoothed over with the exhaust coming out underneath the bumper. He also swapped out the stock type mufflers for the glasspacks. I used their system on a '56 Mercury as well. Both experiences were great...the fit was awesome, even on the areas going through the frame, which can be tricky.

One thing with the glass packs...the longer the glass pack, the less poppy and more mellow it sounds. I went with some longer ones.

I ran the system with the stock manifolds at first. It wasn't too loud, but sounded good, especially when you get into it. Nice mellow, but good sounding idle. With the headers, it's much more aggressive sounding. I was actually very surprised what a difference they made since I've done headers before. It's still not too loud.... you can still hold a conversation and hear the radio fine, but it sounds great. When you get on it, it's a bit loud, but nothing that's gonna get you a ticket. The nice thing is that you can get the exhaust (or jus swap the muffler out) and see if you like it. If you want more, go with the headers. I had to get down pipes custom made, though, since the headers exit in a different spot. I kept the stock downpipes, so if I was to ever go back to the manifolds, it'd be an easy bolt up project.