Front suspension with 302

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

TNcoupe

Front suspension with 302

Post by TNcoupe »

Was looking at the Moog CC850 springs for the front of my 55 Bird. I removed a 292 with power steering and AC from my 55 and will be replacing with a 302 with just power steering and entire aluminum top end. Sbould be shedding about 200lbs off the nose. Will these Moog springs be better for the front with the lighter engine?? I will be putting new bushings in the front suspension soon and would like to fix the springs while Im in there.
TNcoupe

Re: Front suspension with 302

Post by TNcoupe »

I guess unless you are restoring one to original you can forget about a reply on here.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Modifications have unlimited variations that are only of concern to the owner. Others may have made this engine swap but are unfamiliar with the springs you have chosen and therefor have no opinion or made a reply. Do a write up and post pictures showing the process of your build and I'm sure others will be interested.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
Rich's 56

Post by Rich's 56 »

Did you get a chance to measure the stock set up before your rebuild? its going to be difficult to figure out which springs to get. the supplier should be able to let you know what springs should be used with your weight changes. I'm pretty sure you aren't the first one to make this modification. One of my customers(Precision mechanic) suggested I make the same swap when my 292 failed. BTW did you sell the old motor yet? We spoke before.
56 T-Bird 292 three speed stick.
other toys.
04 F250 SD CCSB
95 Wrangler 2.5L 5sp.
05 FLHRCI Road king
TNcoupe

Post by TNcoupe »

Yes, I sold it. Everything went as a package deal. I read somewhere the 292 weighed in around 600lbs dressed. 302 weighs around 450 with cast iron heads. I will be doing Edelbrock aluminum heads, intake, with aluminum alternator and all the brackets. Plus shedding the heavy steering box and AC unit. 200lbs lost is a rough estimate but it may be more than that. Oh yeah, aluminum radiator and electric fan too.
TNcoupe

Post by TNcoupe »

LF suspension is installed now. New bushings, ball joints, bump stops, KYB shocks, and the Moog springs and isolators. I only had to compress the Moog spring about 1.5-2" and I compressed it in place with the floor jack. I suspect they're gonna lower it a considerable amount.
TNcoupe

Post by TNcoupe »

Finally done. With the Moog springs and the left side spacer removed the height to the bottom of the fender at the wheel centerline is 29.125". No engine, trans, or steering components installed.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

Please post the final height when complete and suspension has settled a bit. Do you think it will drop 4"??
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
TNcoupe

Post by TNcoupe »

It will be close I suspect. With the weight of an aluminum top end 302 and a small bellhousing C4 it should be real close.