57 T BIRD, 306 FORD MOTORSPORTS TRANSPLANT, TCI C4

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

rokhopperyj

57 T BIRD, 306 FORD MOTORSPORTS TRANSPLANT, TCI C4

Post by rokhopperyj »

I am about to make a Ford Racing 306 crate engine and TCI C4 fit in my 57 T bird. I just ordered the engine and trans and a whole ton of stuff to put it together. March chrome serpentine system, Griffin radiator with fan, a TCI street fighter trans. Also ordered a Classic Auto Air A/C system and a weld in motor mount kit from Advance Adapters for, of all things, a Jeep CJ2A.
I have been searching this swap, 302 into a 55-57 Tbird, and all that I have found is drag race cars or banter from those who would rather not see this happen. I am going to do this and post my pics and hopefully help the other guys who are contemplating a similar swap.
The car is in pretty good shape but we really want to be able to drive it anywhere, anytime and trust it (or fix it with available parts) no matter where we end up. I have already made some critical upgrades(my opinion).
I have installed a 4 wheel power disc brake kit, power rack and pinion steering and MSD Atomic fuel injection. It has a factory 4V 312 and has a Ford-o-matic trans. I priced a Jasper trans and engine overhaul but made the decision to swap them out (I will sell that combo when it comes out).
AndrewnTX

Post by AndrewnTX »

Nice ride, very pretty.

I bought my '56 w/ the 5.0L and AOD in place. It's a great way to go. I do like the AOD, I get this car out on the highway and it runs nice and gets excellent gas mileage with an overdrive gear.

As I said the previous owner did this install, and used an RJM Injection Tech Classic Ford Harness and all stock Ford EEC stuff. When I got it the ECU was laying in the floorboard, the car had electrical gremlins but all that was easily fixed and now the car is a reliable quick ride. I will follow along on your conversion, I will try to answer any questions or show you what was done on my car to help you out.
1956 Ford Thunderbird
1961 Ford Econoline 5 Window P/U
1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.8L Coupe
2012 Cadillac CTS-V SportWagon
rokhopperyj

Post by rokhopperyj »

Got the engine and trans pulled and sold on Ebay. Started fitting the 306 into the engine bay. Going to have to get creative with the left motor mount to clear the steering rack. Got the right side pretty much figured out.
Got the bling!
LEAVING NO STONE(OR BOLT) UNTURNED!
AndrewnTX

Post by AndrewnTX »

Wow!!!!! Nice motor!!
1956 Ford Thunderbird
rokhopperyj

Post by rokhopperyj »

I have motor mounts and a transmission mount welded in now. Mocked up the intake, throttle body and air cleaner top to make sure hood would close. It did!
AndrewnTX

Post by AndrewnTX »

Moving along well. I was surprised to see that large crossmember sectioned out. On my 5.0L set up they used a double hump oil pan and left the OE crossmember intact. At any rate I assume you will have to double up and reinforce that area to regain the structure taken out.

I also see the updated rack and pinion. That will be great. I saw a similar set up offered by Unisteer for our 55-57 'Birds last weekend at their Good Guys display booth. What brand is your set up?
1956 Ford Thunderbird
AndrewnTX

Post by AndrewnTX »

Also wanted to mention a few things.

My set up uses mostly OE Mustang 5.0 front brackets and pulleys. I do have power steering and is very tight on the driver's frame rail. Consider that as well.

Second the exhaust. Mine has OE cast manifolds that are from a late 90's Explorer 5.0. These are upturned at the area of the OE steering box, most headers would interfere right there. Since you are doing away w/ the OE steering box you should have more clearance.

Also another resource may be Hill's Thunderbird, in OH. They have some notes on their website about 5.0 conversions/restomods.

http://hillsresto.com/pages/restoration ... stomod.php

They were very helpful on the phone whenever I called up for parts.
1956 Ford Thunderbird
rokhopperyj

Post by rokhopperyj »

I will post some more pics next week. I used the BBK headers (unequal length) and they dump at the rear. I also positioned the engine and trans a half inch to the right for steering clearance. The March serpentine system positions all the accessories in a fairly tight cluster and poses no clearance issues. I am using an electric fan also which eliminates the need to fit a fan and shroud into the equation. I am using a shifter assembly for '67/68 Mustang. It has a T-handle and looks good in the car. I have also remote mounted the oil filter due to a clearance issue with the crossmember. The pics from the Hill site look awesome. I am using the MSD Atomic fuel injection so I will still have the factory air cleaner assembly.
rokhopperyj

Post by rokhopperyj »

Got some more pics. Pulled engine back out to paint and assemble it. I am going Colonial white on all the painted parts of the engine.
In primer
Left mount
Right side. These are Advance Adaptors mounts for a Toyota truck.
Serious mods to clear steering.
It's tight but all is well.
Cooler lines made.
'67 Mustang shifter assembly.
rokhopperyj

Post by rokhopperyj »

More pics of the engine now in white.

Whata ya think?
AndrewnTX

Post by AndrewnTX »

Looks great! Tell me more about the steering conversion to rack and pinion. I want to do something about mine, it's OE w/ the power ram and the steering is just not that great in regards to fun driving.
1956 Ford Thunderbird
rokhopperyj

Post by rokhopperyj »

The wheels and tires. Torq Thrust II with the pvd coating. Also not pictured, the AR spinner center cap. The tires are Coker 235/55R17, 1.75" WW. The fronts are 17x7 rears are 17x8.
The steering kit was from Unisteer. Had some issues with their hoses at first but the tech support and product replacement was good and the issues were resolved.
cmallory

Nice!

Post by cmallory »

I'm in Hampton for the next few weeks, in and out. Was wondering if you wanted to show off the car, I would love to come by and take a look, and pick your brain for when I do my restomod. I sent you a PM with contact info, give me a call.

Chris
john6t6

Post by john6t6 »

Looks like a great setup
1966 Hardtop Sauterne Gold
VTCI #4065
rokhopperyj

Post by rokhopperyj »

Spent the last two weeks trying to figure out why I was lacking 3/32" between my converter and flexplate. I was finally reduced to adding two block plates
to obtain .120" clearance. Dropped it in Wednesday morning and proceeded to bolt on some parts today.
This is 2 Saturdays ago