Disc brake questions on 57 Bird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1955-57 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: Joe Johnston

seany-boy

Disc brake questions on 57 Bird

Post by seany-boy »

Hi ,

just after some quick advice on disc brakes. I have standard 14 in wheels and tire size, and was contemplating a disc upgrade and now have an opportunity to get some Granada disc parts- not all that common in Australia.

However, I definitely don't want to change wheels and tires so wanted to understand if disc brakes on 14in are possible with Grenada spindles, are there specific ones that do work - any advice welsome.
I think I read Joe Johnson , you have 14's still and discs so any advice would be great. I am not in a hurry except these items have come up locally but happy to just let them go if it is not the right solution for me.

Cheers
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D
Joe Johnston

Re: Disc brake questions on 57 Bird

Post by Joe Johnston »

Yes I have 14" wheels and have used the repo 14" wire wheels and currently steel wheels. I upgraded to disk brakes many years ago with the kit from CASCO using the original spindles.

I have heard the Granada spindle set up works well, but with the standard Granada wheels will set out about an inch further than the original width. I have no experience with this so hopefully some one here can give us the facts, but if so, could be fixed by using wheels with a greater offset.
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
seany-boy

Re: Disc brake questions on 57 Bird

Post by seany-boy »

Thanks for the quick response Joe- appreciate it. I definitely don't want to be swapping wheels after banging on the Bias look radials recently at significant cost- so I will take a look at what 1 inch will do. Not sure also if the Grenada rotors etc will fit a 14 inch wheel so if anyone knows that it would be great.
Red 57 Thunderbird 312 3spd O/D