Photobucket Testing

A place to test your online, html, bbcode, art!
Yoda
Site Admin

Photobucket Testing

Post by Yoda »

Going to experiment with this post:
https://www.vintagethunderbirdclub.net/ ... hp?p=43427
Brian E. Pangburn
VTCI Administrator
1965 Convertible
Yoda
Site Admin

Re: Photobucket Testing

Post by Yoda »

Original:

More investigation into my sloppy shifter in my 66 ragtop....

I have replaced the shift selector lever, the lower bushing, the shift detent, and the upper column bearing. Yay! My car no longer jumps out of park!

However, now the selector lever is pretty much floating between N, D2, and D1. Inspecting the linkage under the car, I discovered the linkage leading to the tranny is super sloppy. Lookee here:

Image[/img]

The middle joint (in the first picture) appears to have a bushing in it. The other two, however, are just floating in the holes. Especially the bottom one. There is about a 1/4" play both in and out of the hole, and up and down in the hole. The second pictures shows the gap there is between the pin and the hole. Are these supposed to have some sort of rubber bushing/grommet in them to keep the linkage tight? Any idea where I can pick these up, if so?

Second: The shop manual on page 7-54, first column, #3, mentions some sort of detent on the tranny itself. Do these wear out? And, is it inside the tranny? The reason I ask is because from under the car, I can pretty much move the lever attached to the tranny freely between the N, D2, D1 positions with very little resistance. Normal, or no?

As always, any thoughts are appreciated.[/img]
Yoda
Site Admin

Re: Photobucket Testing

Post by Yoda »

Replacing Photobucket links with local links:

More investigation into my sloppy shifter in my 66 ragtop....

I have replaced the shift selector lever, the lower bushing, the shift detent, and the upper column bearing. Yay! My car no longer jumps out of park!

However, now the selector lever is pretty much floating between N, D2, and D1. Inspecting the linkage under the car, I discovered the linkage leading to the tranny is super sloppy. Lookee here:

The middle joint (in the first picture) appears to have a bushing in it. The other two, however, are just floating in the holes. Especially the bottom one. There is about a 1/4" play both in and out of the hole, and up and down in the hole. The second pictures shows the gap there is between the pin and the hole. Are these supposed to have some sort of rubber bushing/grommet in them to keep the linkage tight? Any idea where I can pick these up, if so?

Second: The shop manual on page 7-54, first column, #3, mentions some sort of detent on the tranny itself. Do these wear out? And, is it inside the tranny? The reason I ask is because from under the car, I can pretty much move the lever attached to the tranny freely between the N, D2, D1 positions with very little resistance. Normal, or no?

As always, any thoughts are appreciated.