Need a Heat Riser Spacer

This area is for posting Thunderbirds and Thunderbird parts wanted. All other posts will be removed. No vendors please......they will be removed
GeorgeG

Need a Heat Riser Spacer

Post by GeorgeG »

Looking for a heat riser spacer for my '61;not the original style heat riser valve but the spacer. Goes between the passenger side exhaust pipe and exhaust manifold. None of our TBird houses have them and they don't know when they'll get them. They have them for the small birds and '65 & later, but not ours.

George
George
VTCI #9586
Early '61 hardtop: 4-wheel discs, C6 trans, 390 HP, coil over shocks, tach, LED lights....in family since new
'75 Porsche 914 1.8 FI upgraded to 2.0 specs
Alan H. Tast

Re: Need a Heat Riser Spacer

Post by Alan H. Tast »

If you're looking for just a spacer, perhaps someone can provide dimensions and you can fabricate one from aluminum billet approx. 1"-thick? One large hole for the exhaust, two bores for the studs and then the outer profile of the flange should do it.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
GeorgeG

Post by GeorgeG »

Thanks Alan. I thought of that and may actually do that. Don't think I'd use aluminum though. I've thought of a few of other options if I can't find a real one: (1) Use a section of exhaust tubing and weld up flanges, similar to your idea. (2) I have an old heat riser valve (that leaks where the flapper rod pokes through) so I could possibly modify that by gutting it and tapping/plugging the holes where the rod comes out. And (3) pull the stock exhaust H-pipe and have a new H-Pipe fabbed that has the passenger side longer so it mates directly to the header. Thought I'd try the easy solution first by seeing if anyone had a real one.

George
George
VTCI #9586
Early '61 hardtop: 4-wheel discs, C6 trans, 390 HP, coil over shocks, tach, LED lights....in family since new
'75 Porsche 914 1.8 FI upgraded to 2.0 specs
Heat

Post by Heat »

Just FYI, the Birds Nest (Oregon) called me and had just received exhaust spacers for my 66/390. Apparently, there's a new manufacturer. Maybe they'll have a one for your 61 too. Can't hurt to call.