1963 AM/FM Thunderbird Radio Transformer

This area is for posting Thunderbirds and Thunderbird parts wanted. All other posts will be removed. No vendors please......they will be removed
flyinthermals

1963 AM/FM Thunderbird Radio Transformer

Post by flyinthermals »

Hello All,

I am trying to track down a transformer for my radio that has stopped working. The part number that I need is 2092419-2. It is 262 frequency , 6 pin component that hooks into the circuit board. If anyone has a old AM/FM F3TBS radio that is not working or may know someone who may have the transformer part, please pm me. Thank you very much to all that reply.
stove

Re: 1963 AM/FM Thunderbird Radio Transformer

Post by stove »

1963 HT, Corinthian White / Pearl Beige
1966 Convertible, Sauterne Gold / Parchment leather/Ivy Gold (428 A/C)
1967 Tudor Landau, Raven Black / Black (428)
1970 Five Window Landau Brougham, Ginger Met. Poly / Ginger Hopsack
flyinthermals

Post by flyinthermals »

Thanks for the link Stove. I called the seller unfortunately he does not have the part. I need a -2 and his start at a -5.
59Buickhearse

Post by 59Buickhearse »

Try Joe. He's helpful when he can.

www.classicautoelectric.com/info.html
Words....are simply an expression of thought.

71 Thunderbird 2-Dr Landau
59 Flxible
59 4-Dr Buick Invicta
jhenry

Post by jhenry »

Try Ralph Poor at poorfam@buckeye-express.com.
VTCI #4244
1962 T-bird Convertible...DONE & SOLD!
1965 T-bird Convertible...DONE!
1959 Ford Retractable...owned 38 years
2005 Mustang GT Conv...supercharged by Ford!
Randy Mattson

Post by Randy Mattson »

Another place worth trying:
www.turnswitch.com
Good luck!
Randy Mattson
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin
Peddller

Post by Peddller »

I have had great luck with Ralph Poor as was stated earlier. He has fixed two radios for me that everyone told me could not be fixed. Also I think he is a Thunderbird collector!
Bill Clark
Bel Air, Maryland
1957 F code
2005 50th anniversary
1963 Avanti R2
1956 GMC Suburban Carrier pickup
1966 Corvair Corsa Turbo
Prior Birds
1963 M code SR
1964 Convertable
1965 convertible
flyinthermals

Post by flyinthermals »

Thanks for the leads. Unfortunately no was was able to help yet. These radios were a bad design I am being told. The FM stations are working but the AM has stopped. :sad: I will keep looking and hopefully find either the part or a non working donor radio. I am researching donor radios where certain parts may work. So far a 1962 VW Bendix radio is very close as well as a 1964 to 66 Tbird radio. I have not been able to confirm this yet. The snag might be that the pins may not line up to the board just right and may require some tweaking or internal re-wiring.
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

You might try contacting http://www.garytayman.com

He modifies and upgrades Ford radios and may be tossing the very parts you are looking for!!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
flyinthermals

Post by flyinthermals »

Thanks for all the Leads gentlemen. I have talked with all the people mentioned and so far I’m out of luck. This IF Transformer is not repairable and unless I can find the exact part number from a donor radio I will have to pu the repair on hold. The surgery required to convert a Transformer that is close or similar but not exact is quite extensive and requires many hour of labor. It’s just not financially viable. I will keep on pressing on. The part itself, if I can find one, should not be any more than $10 or $15 I’m told. That is if someone is willing to part with it.
flyinthermals

Post by flyinthermals »

I picked up my radio from the Repair person yesterday and unfortunately he was unable to fix the transformer part. :sad: I will still actively look to find a replacement part from a non working donor radio preferably. One of the tbird part houses has told me that no one wants these radios any more because they, being the first generation am/fm, were very unreliable. Most people are going for the retro look with modern electronics or a new tbird am/fm with the 63 faceplate. I wish I would have looked into going that route months ago. Oh well, If anyone ever comes across a donor radio not working please contact me. Thank you.