Changing Coolant/Draining Radiator 2002-2005

This area is for posting questions/information concerning the newest generation year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: VicRattlehead

Alan H. Tast

Changing Coolant/Draining Radiator 2002-2005

Post by Alan H. Tast »

I'll admit it: I don't know everything about every T-bird. Once in a while a question comes my way, like this one:

HELLO ALAN:
I belong to VTCI and have a 2004 Retro T-Bird. It is a very nice car with only 16k miles on it. I’m not sure how long it has been since new antifreeze was put in. I want change the antifreeze, but I haven’t found anything with directions on how to drain the radiator. Connected near the bottom of the radiator, on the passenger side, is a plastic nut and above that is a short tube that looks like a hose could be connected to it. I’m just not sure if that is a radiator drain or for the A/C or something else. I’m wondering if one has to take off the lower radiator hose to drain the radiator, as is necessary with so many newer vehicles.

If you would be so kind to tell me how to drain the radiator, I would be most appreciative.
Thank you.
Gene Kline
Roanoke, Indiana

So, can anyone answer this man's question?
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
RAVEN

Re: Changing Coolant/Draining Radiator 2002-2005

Post by RAVEN »

Well correct me if I am wrong boys but I would replace the rad hoses anyway, so just cut the old off and drain away in an enviromentally good way. After better than 10 years the hoses should be replaced anyway, I do it every 5 years on any vehicle I own, personally or bussiness. I hate tow trucks and traffic jambs do to poor maintained vehicles on the side of road because of the lack of maintence.
And as I say THATS MY 2 CENTS and we in Canada do not have pennies anymore!
Also, I say this as reco for the fact a repair bill will far be more expensive if you overheat the newer style Aluminium modular motors. Quote: Pay me now or pay me later (alot more).
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible