Tonneau Cover, Anyone?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning the newest generation year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: VicRattlehead

04tbird75002

Tonneau Cover, Anyone?

Post by 04tbird75002 »

Hey Folks, I am a newbie to Thundebirds: I have been a Triumph TR3 guy since 1961. I just sold my last TR3B, as I could no longer afford the maintenance and upkeep. Nuff said. I bought a beautiful silver 04 Premium Edition, and got a few things that it needed from thunderbirdconcepts.com. I told Aaron that he ought to look into devising a bonafide European-style tonneau - complete with zipper - that doesn't require 25 holes drilled into the body work. Heck, he already has the rear portion figured out, a la his convertible top boot.

That said, have any of you contemplated a tonneau cover? My Sister and Brother-in-Law bought a new '64-1/2 Mustang convertible back then, and had a real nice tonneau added. Of course, it was done by an aftermarket outfit, at a significant cost, but it was a beautiful cover, and kept out bird poop, rain, dirt, UV rays, and prying eyes. So, I thought I would ask you pros if any of you have considered a tonneau for your retro bird.

Peace,

George :n00b:
My wife says I never listen. I THINK that's what she said.
bluebird02

Re: Tonneau Cover, Anyone?

Post by bluebird02 »

I'm also new to the Retro bird world, but am a old british man myself. TR3, TR4s, etc. Just sold a TR8, plus Jaguars. Anyways, I completely agree with you on a nice Tonneau. During the summer months, I use nothing but the tonneau cover, as long as it covers the cockpit completely. Looks much more stylish also. If you hear about on being made, please let me know.
Eagle_Eye96

Post by Eagle_Eye96 »

I thought Tonneau covers are only for pickup trucks. Never seen one on a car.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

When dealing with post-Classic T-birds, i.e. 1958-1966 and 2002-2005 convertibles, the definition of "tonneau" typically has the connotation of a fiberglass cover over the rear seats a'la the 1962-63 Sports Roadsters and the optional fiberglass cover for 1964-1966. What you're looking for is what most people consider a tonneau cover, a vinyl/fabric assembly that covers the entire cockpit, and can be unzipped to expose the driver's seat, and usually is held in place with snap fasteners (1955-1957 T-birds offered this). I believe that there have been aftermarket manufacturers for these, but I haven't seen many outfitted with them. They're out there, but you may have to contact a few vendors that specialize in Retro 'Birds to find one.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster