Limited Edition information

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1990-97 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
m11acr

Limited Edition information

Post by m11acr »

I am the proud owner of a 1997 Thunderbird Limited Edition. I have been trying to find out where I can go to find the history of this vehicle. I would also like to know how many Limited Edition vehicles were manufactured in 1997.
Alan H. Tast

1997 Limited Edition

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Even when new not a lot of people knew about these. I remember looking at a couple of them new on the lot at H.P. Smith Ford in Omaha in the summer of that year and seeing a few others in different body colors, so I don't think there were any specific color combinations used. They were at a premium over the typical Thunderbird LX, and with the end of 'Bird production in September '97 they quietly came and went.

The same subcontractor which modified '95s into 40th Anniversary models also made similar modifications to some '97s with argent silver lower bodyside trim, Limited Edition graphics, embroidered floor mats and some other items.

The best written account I've seen of the Limited Editions is in the book "T-bird: 45 Years of Thunder" edited by John Gunnell (Krause Publishing, Iola, WI), where he included a few columns on how the cars were produced and marketed. I would suspect that forums that specialize in the MN-12 T-birds/Cougars would have info as well, including the Super Coupe Club of America, but I have not monitored these sites for several years.

I don't recall seeing acutal production numbers but the figure of around 4500 sticks in my mind for some odd reason. Given that we're now 12 years removed from the end of MN-12 production, the survival rate probably is not that great, so take care of what you have.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
cool65bird

wow

Post by cool65bird »

i have a blue 97 limited edition thunderbird with a 4.6 and a traction lock rear and 4 wheel disc brakes...4500 is a low production number...wow
65 Thunderbird
66 Mustang GT
92 Mustang GT Convertible
97 Thunderbird LX Limted Edition 4.6
03 Expedition
08 MUSTANG GT
62-63 lincoln (not yet)
67-68 cougar xr7 (had one)
05-06 mustang gt convertible(not yet)
03-05 thunderbird (not yet)
VicRattlehead

Re: 1997 Limited Edition

Post by VicRattlehead »

Alan H. Tast wrote: I would suspect that forums that specialize in the MN-12 T-birds/Cougars would have info as well, including the Super Coupe Club of America, but I have not monitored these sites for several years.

I don't recall seeing acutal production numbers but the figure of around 4500 sticks in my mind for some odd reason. Given that we're now 12 years removed from the end of MN-12 production, the survival rate probably is not that great, so take care of what you have.
sccoa doesnt have a clue on anything that doesnt have a 3.8 in it.

been deling with the mn12's for almost 15 years and i havent found any production numbers on the LE cars.
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!
Tweety Bird

Post by Tweety Bird »

We recently bought a '95 40th Anniversary Edition T-Bird. It's the Rose Mist color. (It changes color as you walk around it).

The original floor mats were not in it, I have no clue where they went. (We are the 4th owner). When I picked the car up, it had 28,501 miles on it.

I'd like to find more info on the car myself. I've searched, but found nothing significant.

IMO, it's a beautiful car. I was looking for a Mustang when I found this beauty

IF I can figute out how to, I will post pics of it.
Tweety Bird

Post by Tweety Bird »

I had posted on a couple of sites, that I was looking for a set of the 40th Anniversary Edition floor mats.

AND,

I got lucky. A guy sent me a pm saying that he had found some!!!! He shipped, I paid, all is good !!!!!! :thumbup:
realestatewayne

Re: Thunderbird 40th Anniversary Edition information

Post by realestatewayne »

My 1995 Ford Thunderbird LX 40th Anniversary Edition is one of 297 sold out of 312 ordered according to Ford and other sources.

Currently I estimated about 5 years there were 41 left between the U.S. and Canada.

As of today, Aug 26, 2020, I don't know how many are left.

I know of three blue examples and mine is one of them.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/339388521896517135/ is where mine is posted as well as

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Spec ... Mrbattmann
Nall_one

Re: Limited Edition information

Post by Nall_one »

Ha, that was probably me. I found a dark blue 40th in the lincoln Ne you-pull-it. Pulled some slightly used floor mats for a guy on tccoa and shipped em.
Still got my 1995 40th. Its getting long In the tooth though. The rust belt here in NE is really taking its tole. I've sprayed everything I can on it, trying to slow it down. Bar and chain oil worked the best.
Right now I'm waiting for the ODO to roll over 200k, if anything serious happens after that, I'll have too let her go.
VicRattlehead

Re: Thunderbird 40th Anniversary Edition information

Post by VicRattlehead »

what documentation do you have that shows this number?
realestatewayne wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:31 am My 1995 Ford Thunderbird LX 40th Anniversary Edition is one of 297 sold out of 312 ordered according to Ford and other sources.

Currently I estimated about 5 years there were 41 left between the U.S. and Canada.

As of today, Aug 26, 2020, I don't know how many are left.

I know of three blue examples and mine is one of them.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/339388521896517135/ is where mine is posted as well as

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Spec ... Mrbattmann
http://www.per-race-engines.com
1996 Thunderbird LX
Mods
Stock is boring and useless!