Electrical Question

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1990-97 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
MikeB

Electrical Question

Post by MikeB »

Finally ordered a shop manual for the '90 and have my eye on a wiring manual. While I'm waiting for it to get here, I have a question. After I replaced the strip for the shoulder seat belt drive, it started acting up again after a few days. I pulled the "fuse" in the power distributation box under the hood for it unitll I get a chance to look at it again. Now, when you turn the headlights on the car dings at you. Does the headlight circut run through this some how? The lights operate just fine.
Mike B
69 Fordor
90 2 door
Blown306

Post by Blown306 »

Not sure about that one...something to consider is that on cars prior to '94, they used brass bushings in the door hinges, which also served as a ground. Another thing to look at is the door ajar switch in the front jam. They get corroded. If those are worn they can cause intermittent problems with the seat belts, door ajar, lights-on warnings and such.

Easiest way to check the hinges...open the door about half way and see if you can pick it up from the bottom. If it moves at all, you need to replace the hinges or pins. You can also notice sagging at the upper right corner of the door...it'll be very close or making contact with the body. Those big heavy doors are prone to sagging.

When you get new hinges from Ford, they come with a modified harness to ground the door to the wiring, instead of through the hinges. The new style hinges have nylon bushings. They are a PITA to replace, especially the upper one...
- Jeff
President, Chicagoland Thunderbirds

'93 Kenne Bell LX "Putting the THUNDER back in the BIRD"
'02 Excursion Diesel - 2x the torque, hp, weight and economy
'03 V-Rod - No more mod money
'03 Goldwing - My other bike IS a Harley
fraserT

Re: Electrical Question

Post by fraserT »

I have a 93 T bird. The passenger side seat belt stays in the open position. I was able to retracted the seatbelt back according to instruction. When I turned not he car and open the door the belt went back into the open position. I closed the door again and it stayed in the open position.