1980 instrument lights

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1980-89 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Iroczone

1980 instrument lights

Post by Iroczone »

I've fixed several things on my 80 T bird now. There are 2 issues left.
#1: The light on the left side of the speedometer instrument panel is dark and I assume the lamp is burned out. What do I need to do to get to that lamp?
#2: The signal lights blink real slow. Does it have the wrong flasher installed or is this normal?

Thanks, Wayne
Iroczone

Post by Iroczone »

I fixed the 2 problems. It wasn't too bad. Remove the lower steering wheel column cover and the fuses and flasher are there under it. I changed the flasher out and now it flashes faster like it should. So it was a bad or wrong flasher.

To get to the back of the instrument panel I took the instrument cover trim off. Then there are 4 screws that hold the instrument panel in place. Once those are removed I pulled it out far enough to reach behind and change the lamp. You can disconnect the speedometer cable and pull it out farther if need be. Also, you can remove the screws from under the front of the dash and 4 at the defroster vents and remove the dash cover and get to the turn signal lamps.

It just takes a little time but it's not too hard.