Changes from '85 to '86

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1980-89 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
rs1sensen

Changes from '85 to '86

Post by rs1sensen »

I was recently given a 1985 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe as a gift from an uncle, who had the car parked in a garage, unused, for some time. The car has never been driven in the snow, has around 70k miles, and has not a spot of rust.

It has the T-5 transmission, keypad entry, analog dash, etc.

However, I also noticed that it has a center real taillight, and when we went to put a new fan-belt on it, it took the 1986 configuration rather than the 1985. According to my uncle, he has records that show that the car was produced around July of '85.

The car has a rod to hold up the hood. I've heard the '86 models used springs.

I thought the center brake light was an '86 thing. Does anyone know of other transitional changes between the years I should look for?
FRAT-MAN-DU

Post by FRAT-MAN-DU »

Hmmm July 85 would be at the end of the production year so your 85 could have some 86 parts. My Dad purchased a new standard model V8 '85 and when the third tail lamp was introduced on the '86 like three weeks later he went back to Ford and at no charge they added along with a full size spare...which they just pulled of an Elan model.
65 Coupe
65 Convertible Org Tonneau #14
85 Fila Edition -gone but not forgotten
98 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
00 Stang Convert
03 Expedition
Colo66

Post by Colo66 »

The biggest difference was the redesign of the rear quarters. The deck lid was raised to a more level configuration which increased trunk space. If memory serves me well, part of the redesign was to facilitate NASCAR "stock" requirements so the rear spoiler on the race cars could be raised more into the slip stream for higher speeds/better control in the turns at the super.speedways. It was in response to Chevys new aero Monte Carlo design.