87-88 Sport ID

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1980-89 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Alan H. Tast

87-88 Sport ID

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Did the '87-'88 Sport have any exterior emblems to ID it? All I can find is that they had black rub strips, and I can't find any pictures from the rear or side showing a "Sport" nameplate.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
parussky

88 Sport ID

Post by parussky »

Just bought a 1988 Sport with 40k miles. Although I havent seen the car I have pictures from every angle and dont see any sport logos. Maybe the grill is different. The original owner still as the marketing brochure, maybe it shows something.
Colo66

Post by Colo66 »

The only ID for the Sport model is in the VIN number. I believe it's 64. No exterior badging. It shares some items with the Turbo Coupe however. The exterior rub strip is the same width and style without the "Turbo Coupe" name plate. The TC has a red insert while the Sport has a chrome insert. The wheels are 14" aluminum 8 hole similar in style to the Mustang 15" 10 hole. I have seen the 8 hole on other non Sport Tbirds so I can't say for sure if it was an option on other birds. It's possible that all 5.0 Tbirds (LX and Sport) received the 8 hole wheel. The grill, hood, and front facia is standard Tbird with no fog lamps. The quadra shock/locking differential/sway bars is the same as the TC. Drum brakes on the rear for the Sport without ABS. Dual exhaust for the Sport. The rest of the drive train and suspension is standard Tbird. Interior is standard Tbird except the articulating front seats,(same as the TC) and the analog sport gauges which is identical to the TC without the boost gauge/firm suspension indicator. No interior badging. The Sport was only offered with an automatic overdrive transmission. I have a '88 Sport as a daily driver but I believe the '87 is the same. Sometime in '88, the rear window trim changed from black out aluminum to "rubber" filler. My '88 Sport is an early production with the metal trim while my '88 TC was a mid production with rubber. My '88 TC was totaled and not around any more.
I hope this helps and I didn't miss anything!
Colo66

Post by Colo66 »

CORRECTION:
The Turbo Coupe VIN body code is 64, the Sport Coupe is 61.