Valve cover color?

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1980-89 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
halfmoondave

Valve cover color?

Post by halfmoondave »

Hello - Thanks for admitting me. Newbie, obviously. Have 5L 84 Coupe (not TC) all original. Working on engine bay, need to replace valve cover gaskets. Want to repaint the covers as well, as the existings are stained and somewhat rusty; looks like they were light gray, about the color of light gray primer. Does anyone have a reference to the original paint color, a number perhaps? TIA.
Alan H. Tast

Re: Valve cover color?

Post by Alan H. Tast »

halfmoondave wrote:Hello - Thanks for admitting me. Newbie, obviously. Have 5L 84 Coupe (not TC) all original. Working on engine bay, need to replace valve cover gaskets. Want to repaint the covers as well, as the existings are stained and somewhat rusty; looks like they were light gray, about the color of light gray primer. Does anyone have a reference to the original paint color, a number perhaps? TIA.
Some time in the early '80s Ford went to what some call Ford Engine Gray for their powerplants. Check with your local auto parts store to find out if they carry any spray bombs of it. Your local Ford dealer might have this as well, but I've never owned an '80s 'Bird nor had to detail/touch up one (yet). I know I've got info on a color number but currently do not have access to my technical library to find it. If someone can beat me to the punch and post info, please do.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Per Alan's info, which I use, the colour listings; for approx. 1982 thru 1990's engines is "Ford Engine Gray."
Duplicolour DE 1611 New Ford Gray
PlastiKote #216 New Ford Gray
Sorry to say that is all that has been posted/recorded to the list.
If you do a "search", you can find the same info. Look up <Ford Engine Color List 1955-1980s>

It is amazing what can be found when you do a "search"

Good luck, have fun, and WELCOME ABOARD!

RAVEN
CDN Member since 1975 #2086
Flock: 1964 Landau Original Family Owned
1964 Sr Convertible "RAVEN"
Past: 2003 Blk Lab "RAVEN" "RIP"Nov 15/17
1964 Lincoln vin4Y86N00007
1964 Red Convertible
halfmoondave

Post by halfmoondave »

Alan & "Raven" - Thanx for your help! Much appreciated. I think that's exactly what I needed. Hopefully I can be equally helpful in some way here too. Dave (and I should be confident to try searching on my own next time)