Led

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
Cole2002

Led

Post by Cole2002 »

Anyone used 194 LED bulbs yet in a 77-79 dash?i have a new dash cluster comming from ebay and want to brightn up the instruments .i bought a set of 10 on amazon ($10 set)tried one in the clock leaving the reg bulb in also,it looked brighter side by side with the incandescent but once installed I see no difference (with dimmer up on high),I left the lights on for 10 min and took them out ,only plus ;there was little to no heat from the led which was my first concern ,I've had to replace quartz clock and gauge cluster due to brittle white plastic housing disintegrating.
BirdShepherd

LED lights

Post by BirdShepherd »

I'ver never used the LED lights in my Birds or Mustangs. Granted, the OEM units are somewhat dim when compared with the electronic versions of today. Interesting that your LEDS are no brighter than the old. Sometimes the printed circuit itself needs to be cleaned with alcohol.
Joe Karasinski

Post by Joe Karasinski »

I have not used them either but I know a lot of the torino guys have and they love them.
Cole2002

Post by Cole2002 »

Update: wow are they bright and not hot! There 194 led smd replacements. I used green for dash/clock only and clear LEDs for turn/warning lights/hi beam, I read some one used chrome spray paint on the inside of the white gauge cluster case for a even brighter display...I'll try that next .take note led smds will not dim ...it's bright or off only...not an issue for my 49 year old eyes!
BirdShepherd

Led lights

Post by BirdShepherd »

You might make a believer out of me yet, with your story of those led lights. WOW! Would love to see the dash just light up!
Cole2002

Post by Cole2002 »

Tried to send the pics of the brighter dash from photo bucket and my shutterfly to this sight and it doesn't work,I have pics on my phone if anyone is swapping bulbs to smd LEDs and needs pics,i don't really have a vision issue but original and new incandescent bulbs are dull.these 10 smd led 194 make night driving amazing .every time I look down at the dash during driving I can't believe how bright ,sharp and clear all instruments are.

Ebay #194 bulb led 10 smd (green)cluster gauges/clock ($3.27 a pack of 10) free shipping
Ebay #194 bulb led (non smd)(white)warning lights,turn sig($2.95 a pack of 20)free shipping.
Ebay #37 bulb led non smd green am fm 8track indicator face($2.00 a pack of 2 only free shipping . All coming from china takes a few weeks.
I did not replace the blue bubble lens inside the cluster and I did use chrome spray paint for inside gauge cluster/clock cases for a reflective effect
BirdShepherd

led lights

Post by BirdShepherd »

What company makes the instrument panel LED lights you're using? Is there a link to the e-bay account? Thanks
Cole2002

Post by Cole2002 »

eBay store seller finemaxgoods green led lamp t10 10 smd 194. This is what I used for cluster back light
BirdShepherd

tailight Bulbs

Post by BirdShepherd »

What is the link or numbers for the tailight bulbs, sidemarker lamps, headlights? Thanks
Cole2002

Post by Cole2002 »

Go to ebay look for the seller finmaxgoods or search ebay-"bulb 194 led 10 smd ",the bulb 194 is used in the 78 t bird manual for serveral applications ,it's truly incridable how bright they are.
BirdShepherd

Led lights

Post by BirdShepherd »

Thanks for the info on the lights; my concern focuses on the plug in portion on the lights. The plug-in-portion of the led lights seem to lack the two contact points (located at the bottom of the shaft of the bulb) per the normal 1157 bulbs used in the tailights. How do the led lights make contact? Thanks, tim
Cole2002

Post by Cole2002 »

Yes if they don't light just turn them around ,it's a 50/50 chance first try.remember I popped off my little blue bubble lens..... it's brighter without them.also I chromed sprayed the back dash casing for reflectiveness.and I used alittle chrome tape on back of speedo gauge
Cole2002

Post by Cole2002 »

I'm not going to do taillights the wattage is so low our birds would require a special breaker to make it blink/signal ,i will do back up lamps led smd .warm white only ,I don't like the bright white it's too blue looking .keep your eye on lumens (light output) when replacing ,
surfmurf

Re: Led lights / bulbs

Post by surfmurf »

Check this address for a listing of LED (this is for my '63 Bird) automotive bulbs = back up to previous screen and enter your vehicle's data.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle ... &year=1963
[ I didn't put the word ford in there, the website did it. Shame on them. ]

I have installed Sylvania ZEVO bulbs, RED LEDs, for my RED Tail-Directional-Turn lenses and could not be happier. [Matching the LED color to the Lens is strongly recommended = wavelength matching.] And just installed ZEVOs for backup lights. Talk about bright, WOW! I did NOT need any mods for the Turn Signals. They flash at a good rate, no over-speed flashing as many report and a Resistor was NOT needed, not in my '63 Bird. Bought red rear light LEDs from China a few years ago and the sandwich LEDs (like a stack of pancakes with several LEDs on each pancake) worked fairly well, but the construction method did not hold up. Go with Sylvania. Price is OK too.
Front LED Parking-Turn lenses and LEDs are white and BRIGHT. This is the most difficult color to make and the industry is still developing to get a whiteer White!
I did find Sylvania has more ZEVOs on the market than on their website listing.
Have Halogen Headlights for a few years now and they are OK (brighter). They came with Relay (resistor?) packs. I was easily able to hide their "foreign" components.
Still researching what I want to do with the many different bulbs used in the car's interior. The above cited website looks like a choice vendor, but pricey.

Also found MANY automotive incandescent replacement bulbs listed for many type bulbs have a notation on the package that tells us they are FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY. Pointed this out to an Advance Auto Parts store manager last week (1/19/2017) and he was very surprised, he'd never noticed. Ditto at the other Advance I shop at. It is small red print on the edge of the package. I forget the brand, but it is a dominant brand at Advance. I'd guess their Purchasing Department never noticed either.

Happy Lighting guys and gals. Murf B-fly:
kongponleu88

Re: Led

Post by kongponleu88 »

thanks for sharing this topic..
goldenslot