1972 T-Bird 429 cu in, draining coolant

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
lazydays

1972 T-Bird 429 cu in, draining coolant

Post by lazydays »

As i am about to fit a new radiator i thought i would compleatly drain and flush the system. The workshop manuals i have and various places on google all say there should be around 18 liters in the system . I am only getting about 12 liters out. Ive tried a couple of times and its the same , i am sure there is old coolant still in there as i have been refilling with plain water and its been draining out the same green colour as the origonal.
Just draining gets about 10 liters , then I've used a wet/dry cleaner on the blow side to the top hose which got some more - about 1 liter , then to the heater hose - another 1/2 liter or so to arround 12 liters. Ive tried cranking the motor and raising the back of the car but got no more.
It seems empty but it cant be if the 18 liters quoted is correct. The other problem is that now i could have tap water in there.
The reason for the compleate drain is I am going to use the Evans Waterless coolant , which ive done on previous cars with no problem.
Any ideas?
redstangbob

Re: 1972 T-Bird 429 cu in, draining coolant

Post by redstangbob »

There should be a block drain on each side if the engine. One may be a petcock and the other a small pipe plug, but will be just below the level of the core plugs in the side of the block. good luck, Bob C
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
lazydays

Re: 1972 T-Bird 429 cu in, draining coolant

Post by lazydays »

ok thanks , will try tommorow