Build Sheet Codes

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
marbro79

Build Sheet Codes

Post by marbro79 »

I retrieved the build sheet from my 79 T-bird last year, recently decided to laminate it. Now that it's flat and easy to read, I noticed that under "suspension pkg" there is a code "S" under "HNDLG". Does anybody know what that means? I'm assuming some kind of heavy duty shocks etc...I'm sure the build sheet could tell you a lot about your T-bird, if you could only decode it. Thanks
marbro79

Re: Build Sheet Codes

Post by marbro79 »

After some investigating, a 1979 thunderbird handling package consisted of 4 heavy duty shocks and two heavy duty rear coil springs and sway bar. Code "S".
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

There hasn't been a huge call for an attempt to decode build sheets for '72-'76 and '77-'79 'Birds. It would be good to start developing this information much as we've done for the pre-'67 models. In order to do this, enthusiasts need to step up and start compiling this information off of known original cars that can be compared with their build sheets, window stickers, body tags, etc. for the options that were installed. I have very few build sheets of post-'67 cars to develop a listing of each year's build codes, but do have a substantial collection of factory information in the form of sales literature, dealer facts books, parts catalogs and service bulletins for reference. However, what I lack is the time to start digging into a project like this at the expense of other things I'm working on for VTCI. Again, someone needs to take ownership of a project like this and move it forward - one person can't do it all.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
marbro79

Post by marbro79 »

Yes, it seems like a very daunting task indeed. My build sheet is in not too bad condition and I can make out most of the description headers and codes. I've sent away for a Marti Report and window sticker, so I hope that it will shed some light on my T-Bird production codes/options.