Starter issues

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
marbro79

Starter issues

Post by marbro79 »

I'm having an issue with my starter, or at least I think it's the starter..lol. The other day my 79 stalled going into the garage when I gave it a little gas to nudge it in, when I went to start it up, I got a "click click click" sound and a puff of smoke from under the hood around the starter solenoid. So I waited a few minutes, and it started up ok. But, yesterday after starting up the car a few times during the day, running errands and stuff, it wouldn't start. Nothing...no power at all, no radio, windows etc...I waited a few minutes and I had power, but the starter would not turn. Waited a bit more, and it started up just fine...I parked it in the garage. Any ideas on what could be the problem? Thanks.
BirdShepherd

Re: Starter issues

Post by BirdShepherd »

From your description, your Bird probably does not have starter problems; rather from the intermittent success you have in starting it, the nature of the problem seems to be in a poor connection somewhere--perhaps as simple as poor connections between battery terminals and posts. Remove both positive and negative and thoroughly clean posts and cable ends.
The connection to the starter solenoid also might be weak.
The connection of your ground cable to the engine block might be failing as well.

If connections are your problem, it is an easy and inexpensive fix.
Best wishes.
Shepherding 77-79 T-Birds, Shepherding People