Need some advise

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1970-79 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS
bulletbirdman

Need some advise

Post by bulletbirdman »

Has anyone had this problem? 77 bird 50,000mile,400ci C6 ,When the car idles with thw ac on for long periods of time, (such as stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on hot days) the engine will shut down and not restart untill it cools down again, the starter isn't dragging it has fuel just will not fire. I'm thinking the distributor pickup coil is failing, but would like some other experienced input on the subject. Thanks BBM
Red 63 T-Bird
White 62 T-Bird
78 HD LoRider
Blue 78 Cougar
Red & White 77 T-bird
BirdShepherd

Re: Need some advise

Post by BirdShepherd »

Hi BMM:

You are describing a common problem with big-block Fords.
The pickup in your distributor might be failing.
But a more common problem with older big block engines is a poor ground somewhere. The 400-2 runs hot as it is; but with a ground problem, it is exacerbated.

Check the two contact points for the ground strap in the rear of the motor--passenger side-- connecting motor to firewall. The connections get clogged with dirt, grease, and crud. Also, make sure the two contacts connecting battery and motor are clean. I added a ground cable from battery ground to the frame itself to ensure proper grounding.

The same thing you describe used to happen to my 429 CJ: when real hot, it would shut down. Proper grounding eliminated the problem.
All the best to you.
Shepherding 77-79 T-Birds, Shepherding People
gyoungwolf

Re: Need some advise

Post by gyoungwolf »

HI. If you are sure it's electrical, then disregard, but if not, consider vapor lock as a possibility.
Grant
"The Carbmeister"
1962 Light Blue Convertible
1972 Caddy Hearse (for sale)
2005 Jag XK8 Convertible
2006 Silverado RST Intimidator SS