1964 Alternators and regulators

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

RAVEN

1964 Alternators and regulators

Post by RAVEN »

Applications and factory installs.
Got into a discussion yesterday re the application and factory install of alternators and regulators and their respective IDs. In my opinion there were 3 different alts (40/42/52A) and 2 regulators installed in our cars. The application depended on accesories and body fitment. eg power windows/AC/ and convert tops. The cars in question were a hard top with P/W only. I felt it was a car requiring only a 40A alt IDed with a purple stamp, and a silver IDed regulator (common 40/42A). One, would this be a correct identifcation and two if not what would be.
Case 2 in point a 64 Vert with P/W non Air, non Trans Ign. My interpretation would be 52A alt with red stamp and Yellow graphics on Regulator.
Too all wise persons, what would your thoughts be on these cars.
Now factor in T/I and convert; or HT with Air but crank windows.

RAVEN
60fore

Post by 60fore »

If I recall correctly (no guarantees there!) cars with transistorized ignition used a unique regulator, which would make at least three different ones for '64. Hoping someone who still has a copy of the OFS will confirm.

A repro regulator I ordered a while ago came with yellow graphics; it was for a hardtop with A/C and power windows. No guarantee the stamp was correct though.
Currently Birdless....we'll see how long that lasts!

Past Birds: 1962 Hardtop Corinthian White "The Survivor"
1964 Hardtop Gunmetal Gray "60Fore"
1986 Turbo Coupe Regatta Blue
RAVEN

Regs and Alts

Post by RAVEN »

I know of 2 Regs, and if I read OFS correctly that is confirmed. But it has been said that a distinct coil existed for the TI, maybe that is the cross reference
Also all regs wear a FOMOCO graphic for 64.
I would agree with your repo graphics do to A/C and P/W as the car would call for a higher Amp rating, ergo Yellow and 52A rating
tbird

Post by tbird »

Another variable in the mix would be when was the optional H.D. battery used did these items ever become part of a package or were they all a-la-cart?

Have not seen anything that spells this out, my guess would be that a convertible with power windows and air would have the 52 amp alternator and matching regulator plus the H.D. battery. Maybe Alan has something in his literature on this.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
RAVEN

Alts and Regs

Post by RAVEN »

I would agree with that thought. But would not a high amp alt and controlling reg still be servicable to the standard battery. They would just recharge faster. A battery is rated in amphours or reserve capacity meaning the amount available in a fixed amount of time, in simple terms. When a battery is recharged it will process the amount depleted. eg 100 amps used. Recharge in trickel fashion 5A X 20 hours = 100. OR rapid charge 20A X 5 hours = 100. The only factor is how fast in what time. In our case we need to replace used Amps quickly in a car, as you may cycle the starter numerous times in a short period. Where as in a heavy duty battery you get more Amps up front but will need longer recharge time do to more used. (hope i explained clearly). SO a H D battery would have been a possible al a carte item, not a standard unit IMHO.

Just wait for Alan's responce, redstang bob or anyone? Please.
redstangbob

Post by redstangbob »

I honestly have no idea what alt/reg combination would have been spec'd at any given time. What I'll throw into this discussion is a little bit about the parts. The alternator is the dumb part, it will spin as long as the engine is turning it. The regulator is the brains, it tells the alt what to do. The alt can have more windings in the stator, which will give it the capability to produce more current, but needs an adequate heat sink and fan to dissipate the heat. The regulator has a battery-hot sensing wire that dictates what the reg will tell the alt to do. When the sensing voltage is low, the reg will send full voltage to the field coil in the alt, causing it to produce it's max output. If the battery is depleted, those amps are used to recharge the battery. As the battery voltage comes up, the reg will pull back the voltage sent to the field coil (rotor) of the alt, and the output will come down. There is no current regulator like there is in a generator system, it's all about the voltage. So a bigger battery will need a bigger alternator to keep it charged, the different regulators didn't last that long, the transistorized unit is backwards compatible with all of them because it only cares about the system voltage. Now what in the hel1 are you doing getting into big discussions about 50 year old alternators??? Too much time on your hands Wally :lol: :lol:
It's gonna be cool when it's done
And now it's really cool !!

59 convertible
58 convertible
65 hardtop
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Well Bob it started as a info question on regulator and alternater I D labeling and applications. It shifted to alt function to justify application. With this in mind< the actual labelling still has not really been answered. One big question is the high amp regs and their ID,
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Wally, et.al.: I suggest you review the parts catalogs, shop manuals and factory service specification manuals for applications, as this is how we developed information in the OFS. This is part of the reason we put in the "Reference" column at the end of the parts listing so that you can go back to the literature we found the information in.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
RAVEN

Post by RAVEN »

Thanks Alan, just trying to interpret observations and get peoples thoughts. Some info is vast and others are obscure.