New member and proud owner of a 66 Tbird

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Commok

New member and proud owner of a 66 Tbird

Post by Commok »

Thank you for being such an informative, supportive and welcoming group. After a long search, I have finally welcomed a Tbird to the family - in this case a 66 convertible with a/c, power windows and black vinyl interior. I always wanted a 66, ever since my cousin bought one brand new after returning from Viet Nam in one piece. The memories of riding with him in his baby made me a life long fan, and had his not succumbed to the rust worm, I would have bought it from him when he sold it. Instead I found mine locally and have started to restore her to driver glory. One quick question - was wood trim an option for a vert, or did a PO add the interior from a Landau? Thanks and looking forward to wrenching with you all!

JETBRD66

Post by JETBRD66 »

beautiful car and welcome, fellow 66'er, safe travels.
THE OLE TURD IN THE BIGBIRD

http://postimg.org/image/6wgpas7od/
Tbird100636

Post by Tbird100636 »

Wood grain panels was Landau only. Likely the interior (or parts of it) was swapped from another car. The dash panels for 65-66 hardtop/convertible would have been the black camera case finish instead of the wood. What is the paint code and interior trim code is stamped on the driver's door tag?
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- 390 FE 4V- Chantilly Beige- NEVER done, but beautiful as is.
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- 390 FE 4V- Red (Originally Wimbledon White)- Hood installed and repaint coming... well... not sure when...
paulr

Post by paulr »

Welcome aboard.

Call me blasphemous. The woody looks all right with the black on this car!

Paul
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
"Beer, now there's a temporary solution!" ~Homer Simpson
Commok

Post by Commok »

The trim code is 56, and the paint code is X, so I understand it to be black vinyl and Maroon Metallic/Vintage Burgundy paint... I like the looks of the wood grain, but it has lost its sheen, particularly on the console, and I am trying to decide how to restore it, or replace it with a stock material if in fact it did not come with it...
66T-Bird

newbe

Post by 66T-Bird »

Welcome! she is a looker, all the best enjoy and many happy miles
skip clark L.I. N.Y.
many happy miles VTCI #964
ozbird

Post by ozbird »

Very nice, I don't normally like the wood grain when it starts to fade/crack but it suits your car well.

I note that John Draxler sells the correct vinyl wood grain finish, quite inexpensive so could be worth a go?

This is his link : http://www.tbirdranch.com/

Graeme
1962 Hardtop - in Melbourne, Australia
66T-Bird

wood grain

Post by 66T-Bird »

i don't believe John carries the wood grain for the 1966, only up to 1963 wood grain applications if different please let me know thanks in advancef
skip clark L.I. N.Y.
many happy miles VTCI #964
paulr

Post by paulr »

Even in most other black (Landau) interiors I don't like the false woodgrain vinyl trim, except when new. This car works because the top is off and the black and burgundy are a practically perfect compliment, and elements of both are in the "wood". The black steering wheel helps (even the best "wood" Landau steering wheel is a minus, if you ask me).

Putting that bit of trim back to camera case would be worth it certainly. But finding the best possible restoration process for the wood trim would be a TKO, in my opinion.

Paul
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT
rrbnut

Post by rrbnut »

welcome and love the color! these cars are what dreams are made of :angel:
Commok

Post by Commok »

Paul, I was thinking the same thing - black may be better. Can anyone suggest what material would I use to recover the console in black and where can I source it? Is this something a handyman can do or do I need to look for a another console? I would also need to recover the swing away and the dash panels. Either way, the finish is pretty dull, and I need to either replace it with wood grain, or with a black "camera case material" as you mentioned...
John R. Thomas

66 Soft Top

Post by John R. Thomas »

What radio is installed? Does the a.c. work?
Ozzy351

Post by Ozzy351 »

Very nice car and welcome to the forum. I also like the woodgrain look, it suits the car.

Ozzy :smile:
"The sour memory of a dud purchase is remembered long after the sweet taste of a cheap deal has disappeared"
1961 T-bird H/T Silver-Gray Metallic/Raven Black roof.
1971 Ford Falcon 351 XYGT-Nugget Gold.
VTCI #11702
Adelaide, South Australia.
Commok

Post by Commok »

Radio is an old CAS that has ssen much better days, but the original am/fm came with the car. I bought a 66 Tbird AM radio to use as a donor to send to Gary Tayman to convert. The a/c works - blows cold, but the original compressor sounds like a bucket of ball bearings in washing machine, so I am debating either a Sanden conversion or buying a rebuilt compressor.
paulr

Post by paulr »

Commok
the original am/fm came with the car. I bought a 66 Tbird AM radio to use as a donor to send to Gary Tayman to convert. The a/c works - blows cold, but the original compressor sounds like a bucket of ball bearings in washing machine, so I am debating either a Sanden conversion or buying a rebuilt compressor.
What are your plans for the original am/fm? As far as the AC, if you're really apt to keep the bay stock, you'll have to stay with the reciprocating cast iron or older aluminum compressor. If not, the Sanden is a lot lighter, quieter and less parasitic drag on engine efficiency--so I'm told, as I am now overhauling my entire A/C system (currently mired in restoring numerous peripheral parts).

Just something from earlier, I think the wood has way more potential jazz given the convertible factor, the burgundy/black, etc. I also think restoration-wise, you could have better luck getting the wood grain to look professional again than you are getting that camera case back to original. CC is a one-of-a-kind texture and finish, so you're probably looking for a high quality surviving donor. Think wood grain, sunglasses, skinny tie, Sinatra, you're all set. Just my 2 cents,

Paul
Paul
VTCI 12014
Registry 45122
'64 Landau HT