Lowering Blocks for Flair Birds

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

NickQ

Lowering Blocks for Flair Birds

Post by NickQ »

Hey all,

I've searched here and have found the guys who have made thier own rear lowering blocks for their flair birds, but I haven't seen any pre-made. I know typical lowering blocks won't work due to the center alignment "stud", right?

Any help is really appreciated!!
GeorgeG

Post by GeorgeG »

Nick: Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question, but I do have an off-topic question for you. Love the wheels on your '63. What type/size are they?

Thanks.
NickQ

Post by NickQ »

Nick: Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question, but I do have an off-topic question for you. Love the wheels on your '63. What type/size are they?

Thanks.
Ah! I'm not sure of the brand, honestly. They were (I sold the '63) a 15" vintage wire wheel. The center cap, from what I remember, was black with an "A" flanked by what looked like two olive branches.

I'll see if I have a better picture of the wheel and I'll post it.

Edit: Here's a small gallery of pictures of the '63, with some decent wheel pictures. Hope it helps.

http://www.imgur.com/a/1wB5z
GeorgeG

Post by GeorgeG »

Very nice! Sorry to hijack your thread. I'll back off now and see if I can ID the wheels.....another treasure hunt. Gotta love it!
edpol

Post by edpol »

It may not be that difficult to fabricate your own blocks, or modify ones that are available. Problem is, it seems like a case where you won't know until you remove some parts.
Great pics of the '63. Looks like Appliance wire wheels, the "A" on the center caps also lean toward that brand.
NickQ

Post by NickQ »

It may not be that difficult to fabricate your own blocks, or modify ones that are available. Problem is, it seems like a case where you won't know until you remove some parts.
Great pics of the '63. Looks like Appliance wire wheels, the "A" on the center caps also lean toward that brand.
That makes sense. Someone once told me they were Appliance wheels, but I didn't know what the hell they were talking about, lol.
NickQ

Post by NickQ »

I ended up having some made at a local machine shop.

WC145

Post by WC145 »

Cool. Are they 1"? Assuming they worked for you - Who made them, for how much, and are they willing to make more?
Fire it up and Let's Go Cruising! www.letsgocruising.org
NickQ

Post by NickQ »

Cool. Are they 1"? Assuming they worked for you - Who made them, for how much, and are they willing to make more?
2"

I haven't installed them yet. I'm probably 2-3 weeks away from installation. I'll update when I do.

A small local machine shop in town made them for me. I paid $60, which I think was a good deal for the build quality. I'm sure they'd be willing to make more, not sure if they'd wanna ship though; it's a (very) small shop run by a (very) old retired man, lol. I'd probably be willing to ship to anyone who was interested though at no profit to me.

Let me get them in the car to verify they fit properly and I'll let you guys know.