Water pump removal problem

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

Deftbird

Water pump removal problem

Post by Deftbird »

So, I was replacing my water pump in my 1965 Thunderbird and as I was pulling the hose off one of the heater core pipes from the engine crumbled off. I don't know if it is the return or outlet.

Are the pipes pressed fit or screwed in? Any solutions to fixing the problems? Thanks for the help. Pictures are below.

Engine Manifold from front of car (radiator's perspective)

Right/Driver's side water pump
Charles
1965 Thunderbird Hard Top
1965 Thunderbird Convertible (Project car)
1956 Thunderbird (Project Car)
tbird

Re: Water pump removal problem

Post by tbird »

What has broken of is the thermostat bypass tube from the front of the intake manifold, it is a pressed in fit. You can purchase a replacement tube from the normal local parts suppliers, with the water pump removed you should be able to clean up the manifold and tap the new nipple in to the opening using a sealant as a lubricant and sealer.

I have never personally installed one but we likely have a few members here that have.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
VTCI 1964-66 Technical Editor
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Deftbird

Post by Deftbird »

tbird wrote:What has broken of is the thermostat bypass tube from the front of the intake manifold, it is a pressed in fit. You can purchase a replacement tube from the normal local parts suppliers, with the water pump removed you should be able to clean up the manifold and tap the new nipple in to the opening using a sealant as a lubricant and sealer.

I have never personally installed one but we likely have a few members here that have.
Awesome. Thank you "tbird" for the quick reply. I will do that this next weekend.

Next question to all then:
It is pretty rusted and corroded, would anyone recommend a torch and a screwdriver to get the old remaining bit out of the intake manifold, or carefully dremel the old bit out? Any suggestions, without getting too much dropping into the engine would be greatly appreciated.
Charles
boaterbob

Post by boaterbob »

I would not use a torch in that area, Gaskets, Fuel line, Etc there. Buy a new one first so you know what your dealing with. You can maybe put a hacksaw blade in hole and make a small slit, Then buy a very small chisel and maybe get it to fold in on itself. I would pull expansion tank and you should be able to get at back of it to get any crap that may drop in or even try stuffing a rag behind there. Don't know if a big easy out or pipe extractor would work. JMO
Deftbird

Post by Deftbird »

boaterbob wrote:I would not use a torch in that area, Gaskets, Fuel line, Etc there. Buy a new one first so you know what your dealing with. You can maybe put a hacksaw blade in hole and make a small slit, Then buy a very small chisel and maybe get it to fold in on itself. I would pull expansion tank and you should be able to get at back of it to get any crap that may drop in or even try stuffing a rag behind there. Don't know if a big easy out or pipe extractor would work. JMO
Thanks Bob, I was planning on removing the expansion tank for room. Only reason I haven't yet is I can only find the gasket sold with a new tank and not just the stand alone gasket. It doesn't currently leak, and want to avoid changing that.

Are they the same gasket as the water pump?
Charles
tbird

Post by tbird »

The gasket that you want for the surge tank to intake manifold is likely listed as a thermostat gasket, I could not readily find a number for it I likely have a couple on hand. The Felpro Blue line is the best gaskets to use that is what I use on my cars.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
dan42

Post by dan42 »

Fel pro available at AutoZone.

Part number 35004 $1.49..
'64 conv. black on black red interior
64 hardtop parts car
'94 lx 4.6
VTCI # 12001
Deftbird

Post by Deftbird »

dan42 wrote:Fel pro available at AutoZone.

Part number 35004 $1.49..
Thanks Dan for the help. Went there and got the fel pro one for $1.09. Luckily they had one in stock.

Got the water pump bolted on and the thermostat bypass tube replaced. With some chiseling and the radiator surge tank removed, you can reach behind and catch and remove any pieces fairly easily that fall into the intake manifold.

I have looked at 4 local auto part stores and haven't been able to find the heater hose fitting for the water pump. Is the threading 3/8"? The one on my old water pump is about as old and rusted as the bypass tube was, so I don't think I will even be able to remove it without it crumbling.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Charles
tbird

Post by tbird »

If the one in the water pump is bad also I would have the pump rebuilt as it likely needs new seals anyway, if there is no one rebuilding them locally you may get a rebuilt off the shelf or they likely offer you a new Chinese pump. Whichever way you go keep your core until you make sure that the replacement fits. With the condition of the nipples I would have a good look at the casting plugs in the side of the block for coolant seepage or even possible rust through starting to show up, you will find three plugs in each side.
Jim Mills
VTCI # 8071
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Deftbird

Post by Deftbird »

tbird wrote:If the one in the water pump is bad also I would have the pump rebuilt as it likely needs new seals anyway, if there is no one rebuilding them locally you may get a rebuilt off the shelf or they likely offer you a new Chinese pump. Whichever way you go keep your core until you make sure that the replacement fits. With the condition of the nipples I would have a good look at the casting plugs in the side of the block for coolant seepage or even possible rust through starting to show up, you will find three plugs in each side.
Tbird, I replaced any of the questionable looking freeze plugs a few years back when I put a new radiator in the car. Ended up getting a new aluminum radiator, as at the time they wanted just under $600 to re-core my old one. The old radiator cap started to leak, so I replaced it with a new one, and the radiator sprang up 3 holes.

I replaced the original water pump, with a new one, because the old one was pouring out water. With it removed, the bearings were definitely shot. The new one didn't have the heater hose fitting, and I don't want to reuse the old rusted heater hose fitting.

I just don't know the thread size on the threaded end, I an guessing about 3/8"? I compared both water pumps for size and shape and all the bolt patterns before bolting it up. I put it on, figuring the heater hose fitting would be an off the shelf part, since it wasn't included with the new water pump.

I have everything bolted up and wanted to try and get it finished this weekend, the only problem is all the local parts stores have a policy to only hire people who seem to not know anything about cars. I tell them it is a heater hose fitting on the water pump. 5/8" hose tube on the end. Autozone told me Dorman makes them and since they stopped carrying anything Dorman, they will no longer have the ability to get them.
Charles
stubbie

Post by stubbie »