1965 Convertible Titling Problems and Sale woes...

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1964-66 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: redstangbob

AngryBirds

1965 Convertible Titling Problems and Sale woes...

Post by AngryBirds »

Well a few weeks ago I found my dream Thunderbird project located really close to me and I was all for the price and the seller was really nice but the car had a huge problem with the back story. The car was last registered in 1972 and hasn't been driven/registered since then. The seller, who got it from his father who died, did not have a title or even a will to produce showing that it was his car. I am wondering if I can still buy it with just a bill of sale in Maryland and get the car titled? Or am I in way over my head with this gamble?
Current Thunderbird Projects:
1965 White Hardtop
1965 Red Convertible Project (Bodywork Stage)
Joe Johnston

Post by Joe Johnston »

First check with your state's DMV laws online - read, print and understand the law.

Go to your local DMV (with your printed info) and ask what you need to do. Ask questions and explain you just aren't sure and really want to understand the laws. Make sure they tell you the same as what you have read and printed. OFTEN there are discrepancies with the office personnel as they may not have dealt with this issue.

Decide then if it is worth the risk and if you really believe the seller and want to jump through all the hoops.

I would offer him a couple of hundred extra if he did all of this and provides a good title - after all he is selling something that he can not legally prove is his. Inspections may be involved, failure to register fees, or obtaining a bonded title may be needed - just depends on your state laws in matters like this.

I've purchased many salvage wreck cars from out of state and have gone through the inspections and the required paperwork, but all the ducks must be in a row for a smooth title acquisition in your name.

Personally I would not buy a car that did not have a good title in the assumed seller's name, but this could work out well for you. Good luck in buying or finding another!
PLEASE invest a few bucks and buy all the shop manuals for your car. Definitely will save you much time and be an education.

55-57 VTCI Forum Moderator
57 Inca Gold-Colonial White
63SR Silver Mink
kevindeluca66

Post by kevindeluca66 »

You could go to your local police dept and ask them if they can do a search in their computers if you don't want to start with the DMV. If they say the car is clean with no reports of theft then you could start with the DMV.
A 66 Thunderbird is cool. A Sapphire Blue 66 is a beautiful car. The 428 engine completes the package.
VTCI#10019 Member since 2002, parents have been members since I was 11 years old.