Nuts, Bolts and Screws

This area is for posting questions/information concerning 1961-63 year Thunderbirds NO FOR SALE POSTINGS

Moderator: ABQTBird

flyinthermals

Nuts, Bolts and Screws

Post by flyinthermals »

Hello All,

Where would be the best source to purchase stainless Nuts, Bolts and Screws for our T-birds at a reasonable price and what would be the best way to determine the correct size and type of screws needed? Should I just measure each screw and count the quantity needed or is there a parts manual that gives the sizes for interior trim and other general areas? I recently purchased a tray of stainless steel interior trim screws that said they were for my 62 hardtop and none of them fit anywhere. I am assuming that the screws that are in there now are the same type that were installed from the factory minus of course any substitutes that P/O may have put in while working on the car.
novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

You're going to have to figure out the pitch of the thread too.

Try these guys....

http://www.hillcofasteners.com/

John
Professional Pic Whore

RAVEN

S/S nuts bolts screws

Post by RAVEN »

Thermals; believe you are located in the Mississauga area. Try and locate a company called "METRICAN". They used to be in the hwy 10/401 area, off of Admiral Blvd. They handle any and all stainless items and have a cash counter.
Alan H. Tast

Post by Alan H. Tast »

Your "best friend" in this case would be a Master Parts Catalog (MPC) or the 1960-1964 Ford Car Parts & Accessories Catalog, i.e. the "Blue Bible." Every part that it has in it, such as windshield garnish moldings, has their associated fasteners listed right after them with sizes and finishes. A word of caution, though: the "Blue Bible" is a condensed version of the MPC after Ford dropped a LOT of parts from inventory in 1969, so you may not find every piece you're looking for in it. It is available on CD so you can print out the pages you need and highlight the fasteners. Yes, you'll have to invest some money in the catalogs, but they contain a wealth of information that will serve you well for as long as you own the 'Bird, and you can always sell them after you're done with them.

Once you have the sizes/quantities identified you can go to the better local hardware stores or those places which specialize in fasteners and start pulling what you can get. If going to the local hardware store (and I don't mean the "big box" home improvement ones), be prepared to spend a lot of time writing down info on the little plastic baggies before you get to the cashier. Larger places that specialize in fasteners may want you to buy a box of fasteners at a time versus single-piece.

When I went through this exercise 10+ years ago on my restoration I also obtained copies of the factory Assembly Manuals (Electrical and Body/Trim/Sealer), plus Ford's Standard Parts & Utility catalogs (I had ones from 1954, 1965 and 1991) along with the book "AMK's Guide to Ford Fasteners 1955-1973" to ID and cross reference sizes and types of screws, bolts, nuts, clips, etc. These were very helpful in showing what each fastener type looked like and gave head/screw type, size, screw pitch, length, and finish. The Assembly Manuals have diagrams with part numbers, and sometimes sizes, for the fasteners, hence the need for the AMK book and standard/utility parts catalogs, which didn't always have the fastener listed.

I am actually wanting to get ahold of copies of the Standard & Utility Parts Catalogs for 1955 through 1964: I know they were printed in 1959 and 1961, but I have yet to get ahold of a copy.
Alan H. Tast, AIA
Technical Director/Past President,
Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"
1963 Hardtop & 1963 Sports Roadster
flyinthermals

Post by flyinthermals »

Thanks Raven I will call them.

Thanks Allan, thats excellent. I thought I read somewhere about a book that shows the hardware sizes. It was probably from this site somewhere. I am looking through a copy demo right now. Thats what I was looking for.

Cheers
bbogue

Post by bbogue »

I like boltdepot.com. Good luck.

Bill
VTCI Member
Past owner 1961 Thunderbird - Heritage Burgundy Metallic

If there are no dogs in heaven, send me where they went. - Will Rogers
John M.

Post by John M. »

Here is the 1960-1964 Ford Car Parts & Accessories Catalog in PDF form located on the squarebirds.org site. A wonderful resource.

http://www.squarebirds.org/Manuals/1960 ... talogs.htm
John M.

Post by John M. »

Here is a link to the AMK Ford fastener Guide

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-fastene ... rs/p/BKFG/
flyinthermals

Post by flyinthermals »

Thats Great John, thank you.
flyinthermals

Post by flyinthermals »

I was just reading a thread I started a few weeks back on stainless steel screws. I mistakenly forgot to thank novanutcase for his input. I was quickly reading through the answers and overlooked your input. I'm sorry about that. :oops: Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Cheers
novanutcase

Post by novanutcase »

I was just reading a thread I started a few weeks back on stainless steel screws. I mistakenly forgot to thank novanutcase for his input. I was quickly reading through the answers and overlooked your input. I'm sorry about that. :oops: Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Cheers
No worries! This is a great bunch of guys so I don't feel in the least bit slighted if I'm not acknowledged on here. I know our members appreciate it.

John
Professional Pic Whore