{VTCI HOME} Vintage Thunderbird Club International
VTCI Thunderbird Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

installiing pertronix ignitor
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Thunderbird Club International Forum Index -> 1964-1966 Thunderbirds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spectre

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas...

I figure I'll just hook her up with the stock coil and see what happens as it gets warmed up.

presh-i-ate-it. (translates as "I appreciate it" for you non-speakers)
Nick Pepe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Petronix Reply with quote

At my shop in L.A. we installed Petronix for years and used the original coils and never had anyone complain that the coils went bad or hard starting. I have one in my 66 and have had it in there for probably 8 years or more and it is still running strong and the car starts first time always. Well, now it doesn't since its been sitting for more than 2 years and is pissed at me for letting it sit there and get dirty and ignoring it. There like women.

Nick
1972 Thunderbird
1972 Mustang Mach 1
Spectre

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
Module and coil arrived!
Installed the module in the distributor per instructions and a youtube vid from pertronix.
Fired it up, purred like a kitten, no more misses, exhaust even stunk less.
Let her run for a few, grinnin like a mule in a briar patch.

**POOF**. Shut off like somebody turned the key off. Fired her back up, ran great for a few then..poof again.

2morrow I'll try running the red to an alternate source and installing the new coil as well/

Suggestions?
RedBird64

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the pickup is spaced a bit too far from the center piece?
I dunno, it's not very sensitive though. I've played with the spacing to see what would happen to dwell - answer is almost nothing.

Scott
MelanieCooper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectre please look at my topic as i had the same issues and the fix its listed there .. hats happen is the coil is runing out of power can hold the voyls casue its not getting it running the red coil wire is the fix
tyrone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: pertronix Reply with quote

I wondered installed the ignitor in my 66 bird with has a 428 I found that if u go online or look in a summit book you can find a harness made by pertronix to bypass everything . And all you have to set it up is in the engine bay
Spectre

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms. Melanie..I read your post before dragging this back up, and it has been a help.

Mr. Tyrone, I checked Summit (and Jegs) after I read your earlier post and couldn't find the harness you referred to.

I 've been fooling with it off and on for a couple of days...seemed to be running OK. Start-up is the problem. If I keep it hooked to the stock coil, nothing.

If I hook it directly to the positive post on the battery it fires right up.

That's backward from what it would do if the resistor wire was interfering.

I installed the pertronix coil this morning and it seemed to do fine. I wasn't able to let it run for to long, probably didn't get very warm, so the resisitor probably didn't have time to drop the volts.

I'm going to try and find an hour or so this week to REALLY let it run and see what happens. I suspect I will have to wire to a 12v source under the hood. I couldn't locate a source yesterday.

Thanks for the replies, i'll update soon.
tbird

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that when the resistor wire is failing that the voltage will drop further than the normal 6 to 7 volts as it heats up, a number of people have had to replace the wire it is available from NAPA or other parts sources. A full twelve volts to the original coil will damage the internals over a extended length of time.

The resister wire is required with the original style coils as they do not have a built in resistance to reduce the voltage, new style coils may require full voltage to them.
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
tyrone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: pertronix Reply with quote

I just looked it was on the second page its the ign power relay
Spectre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: pertronix Reply with quote

[quote="tyrone"]I just looked it was on the second page its the ign power relay[/quote]

AHA!!
Thank you Tyrone...I haven't had any more problems since installing the new coil, but I sure as heck will get this if I do.
Zkroland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im doing the same now. (Pertronix I with 12V coil). Runs fine with original resistor wire but I want to replace It to get 12V to coil. I found the pink wire terminating under dash on passenger side and found other end behind the ignition switch (but cant see the end). It is said that it is plugged into the end of the green/red wire that comes out of ignition switch. so I figured I would just cut that green/red wire and splice regular wire onto it and run it to the coil. However, I find a green wire with a red stripe AND a red wire with a green stripe coming from back of ignition switch.
Which one is the beginning of the pink resistor wire?
And where is the easiest place to put my new wire thru the firewall?
thanks
tbird

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resistor wire should have a bullet style connecter at each end the one is somewhere by the ignition switch the other may be on the passenger side under the dash. Check your Osborne manual.
2002 Thunderbird
1965 Convertible
1962 Convertible (in progress)
1959 Ford Retractable HT
Many parts cars
Zkroland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I agree. but I can't pull the ignition switch out far enough to see which wire the pink is connected to (I can only see a loop of pink disappearing into a taped up harness where the green with red stripe and red with green stripe run into as well.) Of course I have no osborn manual.
Mainly I just need to know if the ignition wire is red with a green stripe or vise-versa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Vintage Thunderbird Club International Forum Index -> 1964-1966 Thunderbirds All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: